Doing it Left

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Doing it Left is a new concept in improving recreational diving. The central theme of DIL is that solutions to diving problems are mainly based on improving the diver rather than the diver’s equipment. DIL is also conservation oriented and supports efforts to preserve the world’s coral reefs and marine life.

For the DIL diver, the ultimate skill is total relaxation in the water. This is the key to perfect buoyancy, trim and low air consumption. A new BC is not necessary to achieve these goals. It is relaxation that allows a diver to realize that extra weights are not needed to get to the bottom and stay there. Relaxation and moving the weight around a bit gives perfect trim and buoyancy. Lower air consumption is mostly the result of relaxation. A relaxed diver will even fin more efficiently. How do you get there? It helps to dive a lot. However, no training agency that I know of directly deals with this issue. Perhaps we need a specialty in the Zen art of diving.

DIL supports efforts to allow solo diving. No diver should be forced to dive with a bad buddy. Furthermore, at depths of less than 60 feet DIL believes that a redundant air supply is not necessary to dive solo.

Although DIL does not advocate a standard gear configuration we do have a few objectives in this area. DIL believes that all recreational diving should be done with the assistance of a dive computer. The use of alternative second stages that are attached to the BC inflator is strongly discouraged. DIL believes that both back inflation and jacket BC’s are acceptable, but strongly recommends against purchasing bulky extended range back inflate BC’s with 50-pound (or more) capacity wings.

DIL supports all efforts to preserve and improve the oceans. All whaling should be stopped. We advocate changing poor environmental practices on land that produce runoff that is destroying coral reefs. Commercial fishing practices must be reformed or else there will be no fish left soon. DIL is opposed to spearfishing while using scuba. If you like to spearfish do it the ethical way and learn to freedive. Divers should not remove anything from wrecks. Leave it in place so the next diver can enjoy it.

This is the beginning of DIL/Doing it Left diving. It is a work in progress.

-Ron

with the exception of the spearfishing part, I agree with 'ya. :)

Spearing within recreational limits reduces by-kill (inadvertantly killed fish) compared to hook-and-line fishing.

I DO agree, however, that commercial spearfishing should be banned. For that matter, I advocate that both commercial and recreational fishing, by any means of gear, should be subject to the same bag limits.

To Nickjb

DIR definitely focuses on fundamental issues like bouyancy, movement, trim and improvements in software. However, I am trying to get away from the standardized gear cofiguration requirement and the level of commitment required by DIR and technical diving in general.

Many technical diving instructors challenge their students in various ways like turning off their air and simulated panicked diver attacks. These experiences are helpful in building confidence, but may be too much for some divers.

For this reason I am searching for alternative approaches (possibly Yoga) are going to be helpful in achieving relaxation in the water. I am nearly there, but I feel it took me too long and would like to help other divers find this with greater speed.

I welcome suggestions from DIR types in migrating any applicable techniques that are not gear based.

Aa an addition to the original post, DIL advocates that all divers be scuba rescue certified.

Sounds good to me with the exception of
"The use of alternative second stages that are attached to the BC inflator is strongly discouraged."
I have been using a Zeagle Octo+ for over 5 years, through several OOA emergencies, with no problems at all.

Can you give me a good reason for your statement?

leadweight once bubbled...
I am trying to get away from... the level of commitment required by DIR...

Many technical diving instructors challenge their students in various ways... These experiences are helpful in building confidence, but may be too much for some divers.

For this reason I am searching for alternative approaches (possibly Yoga) are going to be helpful in achieving relaxation in the water. I am nearly there, but I feel it took me too long and would like to help other divers find this with greater speed.
Yes... comfort without competence.

"I want relaxation... and I WANT IT NOW!"

bwahahahahah.... you are funny Leadweight :D

What a kidder! Good one.

Since joining right and left is a natural pairing...

I'm thinking, joint venture here. Best of both worlds. Well rounded training opportunity.

Serious divers could first become DIR Experts, then move on to the DIL Diver Orientation courses.

Upon completion of all requirements, we could then receive a new jointly issued card, proudly declaring us as certified "DIRE DILDO" divers!

Where do we sign up????

:D :D I'm sorry... I couldn't resist! :D :D

It's been a hard day at work and I just needed a break. No offense meant to anyone.

Hey Lead weight, you could incorporate the DIL program with my learn to dive at home program:

I did post this in the "something to fight over" thread.

As everyone knows, The quality of current dive instructors is terrible, so in an attempt to capitalize on this market opening, Home Experience Leisure Products is launching it’s very own open water certification by correspondence.

I’m going to be rich and so can you, I am currently seeking investors for this once in a life time opportunity to become filthy rich – and you thought PADI pros made money!

No one learns better than by their own mistakes and at their own pace. Our OW certification program is a self teach program - based on relaxation through yoga and environmental awareness, I’ll send you the course material, suggested local pool times and loaner gear for a very reasonable cost and you progress on your own, at the pace you feel comfortable with. No need to worry about a pass or fail, we guaranty 100% success – our material is so refined and simplified that everyone that follows or program will become a certified open water diver! Upon completion of the course material (including the self check exam) and after having made a few dives on your own, just bring your hard earned OW card (included with your course material) to your local print shop along with a personal photo for lamination. When you show up at most any dive resort, simply present your OW card from my internationally recognized training agency: H.E.L.P, for stress free access to the worlds best dive sites.

H. ome
E. xperience
L. eisure
P. roducts

Dee once bubbled...
Can you give me a good reason for your statement?

What if the LP inflator hose goes? Now you're out BC/Wing inflation AND your alternate air.

Probably never happen, I agree, but has always been enough to scare me away from those things...

Like I say, probably will never happen...

Ther have been a lot of thereads on that topic. Just look through the regulator forum. Actually, I think we are going to be seeing less of these in the future because the dive industry seems intent on adopting direct inflation systems like the Mares Airtrim.

Back
Top Bottom