Shark Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joewr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi, gang,

Today's paper had an article about a shark attack in the Bahamas. I thought someone mentioned this on the Board. But I cannot find the thread.

The attack was off Freeport, Grand Bahama Is. and the victim was a swimmer, not a diver. Because I have dived many, many times in the presence of sharks and am always asked by non-divers about sharks, I try to keep aware of reports of shark attacks.

So far, I have not seen any recent reports of such attacks on scuba divers. As far as I can tell the victims of all the recent attacks have been swimmers and surfers. Also the attacks usually come from the underside--the way I believe sharks go after there normal prey: seals, sea lions, etc.

Anybody have any references to shark attacks on divers?

Joewr

Joewr,
Maybe too many divers are capapble of "The Warhammer Manuever" and it protects them from shark attack.

The only thing I ever saw on TV about a diver having problems with sharks was on one of those close call type shows. Some diver was in an area where there were several sharks. The sharks came close to him but then left him alone but stayed in visual range. Siddenly the sharks became agitated and agressive towards the diver. He was trying to ascend at the time and was forced back down to hide in a hole in the coral reef. The sharks came after him and he had to keep pushing them away and hitting at them to keep them from supposedly biting him. Eventually the sharks left and he was able to surface and exit the water without further incident. I got the impression the diver was solo.

Through years of tedious training (watching discovery channel specials) I've learned that sharks love to "ambush" prey on the surface. They have an attack angle of 60-70 degrees upward. This way they get to sneak up on something and build a lot of stricking speed while in the process. Further, swimmers propel themselves by splashing which is a dinner bell to a hungry predator.

Divers are large, usually with other divers, make noise, and blow bubbles which is an aquatic sign of aggression. So perhaps we as divers inimidate some of the sharks out there... that is until someone aggravates them with actions not normal in their environment.

The way I see it, keep off of the surface and dive!

Jbd, I think that most divers would have a natural "Warhammer Manuever" when the see a large shark charging anyway... no need to think about it. It'll happen all by itself! LOL!

by asking what the 'warhammer maneuver' was. Thanks for posting the link, Mario. Now I understand clearly.

Is this something we will learn in the Advanced Open Water course?

how are you? Thanks for the article! I wonder if using a scooter had anything to do with the attack? As usual, lots of questions. Anyhow it is good to hear from you. Getting any diving in? How's your dad? I keep looking in the Chron pink section on Sundays to see if he and the group are going to be in town when I am...

Mario (I guess it's okay to do a two for one these days) I, too, have a degree in marine biology from the Discovery Channel: it really is addicting! I am glad some one else fessed up!

Joewr

I've heard that the bubbles from Scuba scare sharks (or..at least make them a little nervous). Soooo...what about re-breathers? Think that will....ummm....be a problem?

I'm asking first out of curiousity, but also because my "other half" wants to drop MEGA bucks on a closed circut rebreather, and I'm trying to find ANY excuse to argue with him! (love him to death...but you know about men and their toys....) And, I really don't want him to become a statistic!

ScubaBunny, The whole point in diving with a closed circuit rebreather for the recreational diver is to get CLOSER to such wonderful creatures. The CCR is perfect for photogaphers and videographers. It allows them to get closer... much closer than they were allowed to before. I've yet to hear about a CCR or a SCR diver being attacked, so I wouldn't worry too much.

As for boys and their toys... something similar can be said about women... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom