Needs vs. Wants !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
WANTS:
I want Air Intergrated Wrist or quick disconnect computer with Compass
with user friendly battery change capability PC Downloadable
The Lightest BCD with Back Buoyancy.
And either the Sherwood Scuba SR1 or,
The Mares Prestige 12 Regulators.

NEEDS: ?
You tell me,
I dive twice a year
that is like 15 dives MAX/Year.
I always get to the airport overloaded
(Traveling Salesman with samples, weight and size is much valued).
I want easy, I work then I dive, my time is precious.
(Don't feel like using the Chart to calculate my intervals).
The "Must Have" I believe is my Computer and
Regulator (I hate to use dive shops Regulators, hate it)
So the real question at this point I believe is for 15 dives/year,
Is it worth carrying the BCD ? or should I rent ?
I breath normaly, is air calculation important ?
What are the advantages ?
This is my biggest puzzle "to have or not to have air" since my understanding is that if you breath less than average the "Air Calculation" feature will let you stay longer ? otherwise, the computer calculates what ever average (on the high side) based on the values entered by the manufacturer of that specific computer.
Am I right here ?

JF, should I just rent it all, and then go for Piñacolada, or buy ?

What you may NEED is a subscription to "Scuba Diving"! :D

They cover a lot of gear annually. You can check the library.

AI computers tell you your remaining dive time based on YOUR air consumption. Actually the tell you the remaining dive time based on the lesser of two things, air time OR NDL. If you suck air, your remaining time is based on what you have left in the tank based on the current SAC rate. If you sip air, it gives you the NDL remaining time.

If you hate diving rental regs, buy a reg. IMO the best purchases after personal gear (mask, fins, booties, wetsuit) is a computer and reg.

BC's are bulky, even the lightweight variety. My stiletto is a heavy travel BC, but still weights 7lbs. About the lightest BC I've seen is still over 5lbs.

It's nice to have your own gear when diving, but no so for travel. With the diving you do, I'd purchase the bare minimum to be comfortable, and rent the rest assuming rental gear is inexpensive. If not, then just purchase as light as you can, and live with the extra stuff/weight.

for 15 dives/yr I wouldn't ever think about owning anything except mask &fins.

WANTS:
with .... PC Downloadable

Why would you "NEED" that? Simplify.

For the BC, look at the Mares Ergo Icon. Weighs nothing and packs tiny. http://www.mares.com/product_detail.php?id=280&region=ALL

If you are a travelling salesman with samples, you're going to overly civilized places that will likely have top rate rental gear.

Rent it there, or succumb to your SB user name's implication and buy the greatest, latest digitalized titanium infused iron.

WANTS:
with user friendly battery change capability PC Downloadable
The Lightest BCD with Back Buoyancy.
And either the Sherwood Scuba SR1 or,
The Mares Prestige 12 Regulators.

You tell me,
I dive twice a year
that is like 15 dives MAX/Year.
I always get to the airport overloaded
(Traveling Salesman with samples, weight and size is much valued).
I want easy, I work then I dive, my time is precious.
(Don't feel like using the Chart to calculate my intervals).
The "Must Have" I believe is my Computer and
Regulator (I hate to use dive shops Regulators, hate it)
So the real question at this point I believe is for 15 dives/year,
Is it worth carrying the BCD ? or should I rent ?
I breath normaly, is air calculation important ?
What are the advantages ?
This is my biggest puzzle "to have or not to have air" since my understanding is that if you breath less than average the "Air Calculation" feature will let you stay longer ? otherwise, the computer calculates what ever average (on the high side) based on the values entered by the manufacturer of that specific computer.
Am I right here ?

JF, should I just rent it all, and then go for Piñacolada, or buy ?

Hi Cybercable-Thanks for being thorough with your desires for diving.
Are you familiar with a local dive shop (lds). I think it would be a great idea to go in with few hours to spare and talk to the folks there about your needs. They will explain what a dive computers abilities are and what you are responsible for in using it.
With respect to your reg set, not going cheap and not going all hog wild expensive comes to mind. Chances are you are going to be diving warm, is this correct? If it is there are reg set that fit this area of need. The dive shop will run you through the reg they sell and they usually have range of values. If you went middle they are likely good.
A good fitting mask is something you will appreciate.
Fins that feel good to fit will make your dive more comfortable.
Full body wet suit can be rented pretty easy.
If you dont allow your gear time to dry, like bc and suit then nothing really is going to lighten the load. Return moisture is heavy. So renting a bc may fit your bill. Generally bcs are good if you are diving with a reputable dive op.
I personally like my Oceanic VT3 ai and my Zeagle regs (VI). The oceanic because for me the numbers are very big. It also does some great functions I use. It is of good quality. My Zeagles are really great breathing apparatus. Very easy drawing air a depth and very good quality. These are what I use, your lds may have equivalent gear that you like. Maybe your shop will lend a set of regs that you can try on a trip to see if you like them. Thats how I got reeled in on my Zeagles.lol.
Happy hunting. kev

Hi CyberCable,

As a new diver myself, I understand your desire to keep things "easy". However, I would really encourage you not to rely so much on a computer to manage your dives, dive time, surface interval, and available gas, without truly understanding how all of those factors play out in your dives.

If you are diving 15 times per year or less, in my humble opinion you are better served ensuring that your skills are sharp and current instead of hoping your computer will tell you how to plan your gas management.

That said, you would certainly be well served with your own regulators (I like knowing the history of my life support equipment, rather than hoping the rental shop is good -- and if you're travelling you may be dealing with a number of different shops). I also suggest that you may wish to look at a backplate and wing setup rather than a traditional BCD. I find that mine packs light and is nice and compact -- and I prefer it to the high quality, expensive back-inflate BCD I had previously.

All the best in your travels and diving.

Hi CyberCable,

I would really encourage you not to rely so much on a computer to manage your dives, dive time, surface interval, and available gas, without truly understanding how all of those factors play out in your dives.

I also suggest that you may wish to look at a backplate and wing setup rather than a traditional BCD.

I was wondering how long the BP/W suggestion would take! :D

I would suggest a BP/W dives very similar to a good back inflate BC, and costs about the same with the added advantage of weight integration. As I own both, and continue to dive both, I have a VERY good reference point. An integrated octo would provide the advantage of having a reliable second stage, just make sure to bring the hose, and a way to attach it to a first stage. This assuming he wants to travel with a BC, and not his own reg which is kinda reverse logic IMO.

Assuming he has passed OW, he should know/understand dive tables. There is nothing wrong with diving a computer. In fact for the novice diver, I'd say diving the computer is safer vs. trying to pull out memories from the past on how to use limiting dive tables.

I have a good understanding of dive tables, but continue to computer my dive, and dive my computer. If you are not doing flat or deco profiles, why not?

I would get yourself a nice set of regs....while it may not be essential, if you don't like using rental regs and are willing to put in the time and effort to keep them working well, it would probably be worth it to you.

As for your computer, it is my personal opinion (from someone who owns one) that an air-integrated computer is not necessary. A computer that's not air-integrated will tell you your NDL time and will allow you to plan your subsequent dives without "looking at a chart". You pay a pretty penny for the air-integration....and honestly, if you're disciplined enough to look at your remaining air pressure on your computer, you're disciplined enough to look at your remaining air pressure on an SPG.

A BC, while nice to have, is probably not necessary or worth it for you doing 15 dives a year. If, however, you find yourself completely and utterly addicted and have the time to dive more often, a good BC is great investment (we can get into the jacket vs back inflate vs bp/w debate later, or you could search cause there are tons of threads on that subject!).

I'm in the BP/W camp for travel....I have a... well combination one, that is in the 6 lb range....very easy to travel with.

And get a nice regulator...so you know it is setup for the BP/W...

What you need is more free time for diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom