mask question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasoncassanova

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i just bought a tusa m30 mask, i've been fitting it once in awhile to familiarize myself with it since it's my first time to wear a diving mask. i know that you're suppose to buy a mask that will stick to your face when you inhale from your nose and so it does a vacuum effect but the thing is i kind feel i little discomfort on my nose. so my question is, should i just get used to it since it's my first time or i should get a slightly bigger mask since i have a tall nose? :D

If you place the mask to your face without inhaling and it rubs, I would look for something else. When diving, the mask will be pressed to you face lightly by water pressure. You will actually exhale into the mask to ease the pressure to the point where the mask will still be sitting lightly.

Richard

If you place the mask to your face without inhaling and it rubs, I would look for something else. When diving, the mask will be pressed to you face lightly by water pressure. You will actually exhale into the mask to ease the pressure to the point where the mask will still be sitting lightly.

Richard

so meaning that i should get a slightly bigger mask or loose mask? i tried one with the same type but it had black silicone skirt, i didn't get it coz i'm kinda claustrophobic but when i tried it on without putting on the strap it was pretty much comfortable, though the moment i let go of the air i inhaled thru my nose, the mask fell off

I have the same problem with my prescription mask with a purge valve which touches my nose sometimes. I like the mask so well that I disregard it. I usually just pull it down a little when I feel it touching. No problemo. Next mask will not have a purge valve though. Come to think of it, I've never noticed a person with a really large nose on a dive boat. I've often wondered if a person with a large nose would be put off from diving or snorkling because they couldn't find a mask with a large enough nose area.

I have the same problem with my prescription mask with a purge valve which touches my nose sometimes. I like the mask so well that I disregard it. I usually just pull it down a little when I feel it touching. No problemo. Next mask will not have a purge valve though. Come to think of it, I've never noticed a person with a really large nose on a dive boat. I've often wondered if a person with a large nose would be put off from diving or snorkling because they couldn't find a mask with a large enough nose area.

he he he :D i asked the same question myself, though i don't have that tall of a nose but for an asian it's more than average. well i'm still trying to have a feel if it really bothers me that much, though what i do is i try to pull it down a bit so it doesn't push my nose upwards :D

so meaning that i should get a slightly bigger mask or loose mask? i tried one with the same type but it had black silicone skirt, i didn't get it coz i'm kinda claustrophobic but when i tried it on without putting on the strap it was pretty much comfortable, though the moment i let go of the air i inhaled thru my nose, the mask fell off

Sure, if the mask strap isn't holding it to your face and you release the vacuum, gravity will take over.

I have always used a mask with a clear skirt and side windows. In fact, my mask was made by Tekna about 20 years ago. I just bought a ScubaPro Frameless mask with a black skirt and no side vision. I don't know if I am going to like it.

The inhale test is just to see if the skirt will fit to your face. You will never do it in practice because water pressure (and very slight strap tension) will hold it on. Do not overtighten the straps as it will cause the mask to leak.

Use either SeaBuff or toothpaste to clean the inside and outside of the lens by buffing with a soft cloth or paper tower. Do this several times to get the manufacturing residue off the lens.

I personally use Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo as a defogger. I just rub a couple of drops on the inside of the lens and rinse with whatever water is available.

Richard

Last edited:
Sure, if the mask strap isn't holding it to your face and you release the vacuum, gravity will take over.

I have always used a mask with a clear skirt and side windows. In fact, my mask was made by Tekna about 20 years ago. I just bought a ScubaPro Frameless mask with a black skirt and no side vision. I don't know if I am going to like it.

The inhale test is just to see if the skirt will fit to you face. You will never do it in practice because water pressure (and very slight strap tension) will hold it on. Do not overtighten the straps as it will cause the mask to leak.

Use either SeaBuff or toothpaste to clean the inside and outside of the lens by buffing with a soft cloth or paper tower. Do this several times to get the manufacturing residue off the lens.

I personally use Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo as a defogger. I just rub a couple of drops on the inside of the lens and rinse with whatever water is available.

Richard

alright, i think i'll give it another try to the dive shop

Jason, I too have a "tall" nose. I have always had trouble finding a mask that would not press against the bridge of my nose. And yeah, this is uncomfortable. You need to go to a dive shop and try on different masks. Eventually you will find something that works (be prepared to spend a few bucks). Diving with a mask that rubs on your nose isn't too bad, and dont think that the pressure caused by increased depth is going to make it worse, it wont because you will equalize the pressure. But it is annoying and after a few days can cause a bruise that may end up preventing you from diving for a day or so.
Find a better mask and use this current one as backup (my first mask which has this problem lives on my boat and is used only if I have to jump in the water to free the props of some sort of entanglement-only happened once & takes but a minute so it is no issue)

Jason, I too have a "tall" nose. I have always had trouble finding a mask that would not press against the bridge of my nose. And yeah, this is uncomfortable. You need to go to a dive shop and try on different masks. Eventually you will find something that works (be prepared to spend a few bucks). Diving with a mask that rubs on your nose isn't too bad, and dont think that the pressure caused by increased depth is going to make it worse, it wont because you will equalize the pressure. But it is annoying and after a few days can cause a bruise that may end up preventing you from diving for a day or so.
Find a better mask and use this current one as backup (my first mask which has this problem lives on my boat and is used only if I have to jump in the water to free the props of some sort of entanglement-only happened once & takes but a minute so it is no issue)

well the problem is not with the bridge of the nose but on the nostrils (nose holes), the masks seems to push it up or distorts it, i'm not sure if i need to wear my mask a bit lower or if it slides up if a move my face muscles... hhhhmmmmm, i really don't know, i might just go back and check again for other masks.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Back
Top Bottom