Prescription Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cornboy_99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to purchase a mask with perscription lenses. Does anyone have any advice on this? I've noticed that JoeDiver.com sells the entire mask for about $100. At my LDS they showed me a mask with what looked like regular eyeglass lenses glued to the inside of the mask. Is there any advantage to this? If there is I can't see it (no pun intended).

I'm only slightly near sighted (need glasses for distance) and I'm going to Roatan for a week in June and I want to see everything :cool2:

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share.

Doug

If you are nearsighted, the lens inserts (those glued to the inside of a regular mask) probably are not the solution. Most of those are simple diopter lenses used to correct farsightedness.
A true prescription mask (or those with an area ground to correct nearsightedness) is probably your best option. Many mask retailers have servoces providing them.
I am farsighted, so I can't say whether this next part will apply to you, but the only difficulty I had was in getting the prescription portion of the lens to be high enough so that I could focus through both left and right eyes at the same time. My first mask was a simple "gauge reader" style, with panels in the bottom portion of each lens. I could focus through one eye or the other, but not both at the same time. My current mask, however, addresses this issue and works perfectly.

If you're "slightly near sighted"(I assume you have myopia), you'll possibly not need anything...What's your uncorrected acuities??....If better than 20/30, I'd forget it.....

Unless you have an astigmatism, most mask companies offer a mask capable of accecpting corrective lens.

Mask fit is the more important factor for me. Find one that fits, does not leak then look for the lens correction. (The inserts work well for many, if the are installed correctly.)

Those little stick-on inserts were a waste of time and money for me. I bought a mask with lenses that permitted me to see things clearly at 15 feet and forgot about the close-up stuff.

I have two masks with corrective lenses for distance, (i.e., I am nearsighted). In one, lenses for distance were bonded to the original faceplate; in the other, the entire faceplate was replaced with one that corrected my vision. Of the two I prefer the second.

I'm going to purchase a mask with perscription lenses. Does anyone have any advice on this? I've noticed that JoeDiver.com sells the entire mask for about $100. At my LDS they showed me a mask with what looked like regular eyeglass lenses glued to the inside of the mask. Is there any advantage to this? If there is I can't see it (no pun intended).

I'm only slightly near sighted (need glasses for distance) and I'm going to Roatan for a week in June and I want to see everything :cool2:

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share.

Doug

Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878 Ask for Linda. Best prescription masks period.

If you can read your gages and dive watch (or computer) well without your glasses, then you can probably get along just fine without any corrective lenses in your mask. I have the Dive Optx "stick-in" lenses in my mask for something of the bifocal effect. I wear bifocals normally, as I cannot focus on close-up details without them, and with an uncorrected mask I could not read my gages or watch. The stick-in lenses work great for me, and they cost about $35 for the pair.

My wife, on the other hand, is legally blind without her glasses. Her prescription mask has the front glass replaced with the ground prescription lenses (not just glued on the existing glass). Because of the strength of her prescription, it cost about $200 above the cost of the mask itself.

Worth

Every

Penny.

Personally, I use a a standard mask with corrective lenses that replace the normal glass. I ordered the mask from scubatoys after getting the left and right diopter values from my eyeglass prescription. Most brands have at least one mask with replaceable standard prescription lenses. It's possible that the full custom lenses could be better as I had to get lenses that are not perfect for me -4 diopters rather than the -4.25 diopters on my prescription, but I suspect the difference is not noticeable underwater.

I know it's not directly addressing your question, but is there any reason not just to wear contacts? I've worn them diving for years without any problem.

Back
Top Bottom