New to scuba, not to spearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've just been recently certified and wanted to get some feedback on spearing while on scuba, more specifically the transition from freediving to scuba. I figured that this is the 100 thread about this, but couldn't find anything reasonable in the search.

I've been freedive spearing for years and just wanted to get some helpful pointers to making my transition to scuba hunting. Appreciate the feedback.

Check out Spearboard.com, Plenty of great info there
Lose your reel (if you have one)
Try freeshafting, its fun!

Been on spearboard for a while now, just posted here to get some possible different insight.
Definitely open to the freeshafting, but figured a reel would be handy, due to possible big pelagics swimming around that would be a wasted shot if I freeshafted. Have any bad experiences with reel line tangle?

....but figured a reel would be handy, due to possible big pelagics swimming around that would be a wasted shot if I freeshafted.

Most of us freeshafters have a 2nd mounted side shaft along our guns. Since you have adopted tanks, the additional time and depth afforded to you can give you time to reload a 2nd shaft or even change directions into the current and place a 2nd shot if needed. Freediving without tanks would make this difficult.

Just in my opinion, my freeshaft shots are more accurate and the shot placement is much better because I don't have to compensate for line drag. And as you said, the issue of line entanglement is eliminated when freeshafting.

All of my buddies line shaft and many use sliptips, but the reload time is enourmous compared to freeshafting, especially if you have a target rich site. I also dive with freedivers and they are extremely effective if not more so than Tankers given proper conditions.

But to sum it all up, I think you possess the best qualities of both worlds. You can freedive to those shallower targets or put on a tank for deeper sites. Switching between a line gun and a reel gun would only make you even more versatile and able to take advantage of any condition. JFJF over on SB does exactly the same.

Ohh, and 2 more suggestions - Get nitrox certified and get AOW certified. The AOW is so the boat operators will let you dive the deeper wrecks for insurance purposes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom