Just fun, inquiring divers wanted to know..so

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sohnje

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This is what happened after several recent threads got a group of us questioning, what really does happen when.....

So we headed to our favorite quarry with a bunch of disposable equipment, a group of over eager adults acting like adolescents, (the firemen in this group still scare me), and the skill an know-how of how to "safetly" destroy things.

These were our findings:

1.) You definately can get cell service to about 27ft and it no matter what service you had, once you hit 30ft, none of us got service. Can you hear me now??

2.) Yes, you can text easily under water above 27ft.

3.) Blackberries implode at 75ft whether inside the drysuit or outside in a ziplock. (we figured when wearing a drysuit, we are all human ziplocks.

4.) Everything we placed in a water tight "scuba" container (75.00) had no problems. oh, everything we placed in a rigid tupperware contained had no problems either.
(3.99). We were only able to go 100ft before we hit bottom.

5.) For the ladies divers in the crowd, you can apply lipstick easily underwater at any depth. But the eyeshadow application left much to be desired.

6.) Traditional batteries do not explode or rupture at depth, but do explode upon rapid ascent. We know they expode going from 100ft to the surface attached to a lift bag.
There was no effect on NiCa batteries. (wondering about divelights and cameras on this one) We had reports of some ruptures of batteries during dives, but were still inconclusive on what really happens.

7.) Luxfer 3000psi 80al cylinders do explode if over filled. Ours blew at 5200lbs at a depth of 20ft. (thats all the hp hose we had). It was loud, made a huge water spout, so we did one more just for fun. At 15 ft, (we lost some hose on the first trial), the tank exploded at 5500. ( thanks to the search and recovery crew, we recovered all parts and pieces at depth)

8.) HP Steel tanks are impossible to explode!!! They did not supply any fun, and we were all disappointed. We couldn't crank the pressure high enough. The hoses were rated to 8000lbs and blew. So we know a 120 steel can sustain at least 8000lbs. (BTW, no one was in water or in any position to be harmed. We had professionals guiding us. Two were bomb disposal people, thus meaning that a steel tank filled to 4500psi plus a little bit explosive makes an awesome sound and splash!!!)

note: When the AL's exploded, they all remained in one piece. When the steel blew, it fractured into three pieces. We're not sure if the explosive charge caused this or is this what happens when steel bursts??

9.) Accidently, we believe K valves are impossible to destroy. Although the tanks bit the dust, would you believe the valves were fine and still usuable. We chalked this up to luck and our lack of scientific rigor.

10.) Scuba masks shatter when in the water when tanks explode, We hung one off a line about 20 yards away. The mask cracked nicely. So try not to swim next to your buddy if their tank is going to explode. It might interfere with your dive.

11.) "Kats" don't like water much less scuba diving. ( no explanation will be provided)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If there is anything one of you are curious about, and we can find it or get it donated, we'll be heading out in another month to "test" some more equipment. All ideas are welcome.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I've GOT to party with you guys! :D

Tell me you guys posted something on youtube. Please! If you didn't then you'll just have to do it all over again.

Steve.

I'd like to watch these guys thru binoculars. :eek:

Thanks for giving my son and I some laughs tonight!

This thread it useless without pictures/video!

:D

You guys are a creative bunch! Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like a reality show in the making. :crafty:

:rofl3:
:worthless:

Did you violate the "no drinking while diving" rule? ...........just a little bit maybe?

yup...firefighters are really nuts and will just about try anything...(reference to Curacao 08 and a very high cliff) Thnaks for the post it was fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom