Tusa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deep*none

Reaction score
Anyone out there got a Tusa BC?
I have not heard much about them.
Any feed back would be great.Thanks

I had a Tusa Imprex Pro. Quite a nice BC, really... very well made, tough fabric, very sleek.

I sold it and got a bp and some wings and haven't looked back yet :)

Any reason you chosse to get rid of it. did it dive well?

deep*none once bubbled...
Any reason you chosse to get rid of it. did it dive well?

It dove fine. My only complaint was the positioning of the weight pockets. They were basically sitting on my kidneys in a horizontal position. This made it easy to get in any position in the water (as opposed to putting the weights at my side or front, giving an extra tendency to be horizontal), but my kidneys were kinda sore after the day was over. Wasn't a big deal, though.

I've only done one dive on my new BP, but the thing is really fantastic. I now know what they mean when they say it completely disappears underwater. No velcro cummerbund to mess with, no bulky padding and pockets on your sides. You just feel attached to the tank and wing and that's that. It's more than comfortable, especially underwater. Very very stable. Great piece of kit.

edit: Main reason I got rid of it was because I was tired of dealing with the fact that, well, it was still a BC. It sometimes rode up during a dive, the tank shifted around, etc.

Here is a post from the other side of the house but keep in mind I got rid of mine 7 years ago. I hated mine I felt like it was a kids bc. Their are much better bc's for the money. Mine was a back inflate with a single strap and a cradle that ran down the length of the tank. It was good for me as a beginner but I needed much more out of a bc. As with all non bp/wing setups it was cluttered, pockets were not in good places and it is hard to mount anything like a spare air, pony bottle or cannister light. With that addition on the tank strap you cannot mount anything to the tank either. Just my .02 worth.

I dove a TUSA BCJ-4900 Imprex Pro for about 300 dives. I liked it ok at at the time as there were few back inflate B.C.'s around short of a back plate and wings on one extreme and something with way too much crap hanging of it at the other. It had a pair of cam bands which were secure and stable in the water but it was a bear to rig my 30 cu ft pony and doubles were not an option.

A few years ago I threw it in the closet and went with a Genesis Recon. I added the optional stainless steel backplate and have been quite happy with it. The pocket is more functional and the D rings are better positioned on the recon. The weights are positioned much better, do not ride on your back and the weight release system is much better designed and the handles do not come loose to flop in the current. The dump valve on the bottom of the wing is also easier to find and the construction is heavier overall than it was on the TUSA.

It's a good BC and works quite well with my standard configuration including doubles, a lift bag and when required, an OMS Phantom dive light and/or an argon bottle attached to the backplate.

The bolts on the waist and shoulder straps are enough to drive a God fearing Hogarthian diver over the edge when they see it, but I've never had one come loose in about 250 dives with it and I like the easy adjustability when switching between drysuit and semi-dry.

I dove it without the backplate for a bit and I have to say I really recommend the backplate. It makes it much more stable underwater and much more functional for any type of technical diving. On the downside, by the time you buy the BC and chuck up another couple hundred for the badly over priced plate kit with the "you get it whether you want it or not" single tank adapter, you have over $600 invested and could buy almost any other plate, wing, and harness system for the same or less money. Genesis also sells a redundant bladder for it for another $270, but this just aggravates the sticker shock. I like to support my local dealer, but I have limits.

I have a TUSA liberator 2 and like it. It's pretty inexpensive so it does not have a lot of the features found on more expensive models. It gets the job done for me and I've never had any troubles with it.

My wife has had her BC for about 2 years and loves it. The quality I have to say is not in the upper tiers but neither is the price. If you are looking for a quality BC for economic price range they are a good buy. Check our LP

Have used it exclusively for over 2 years and 100+ dives ... never had a problem with it ... honestly I bought it in ignorance and didn't realize it was a back inflate ... turns out that has worked well for me.

I do NOT use the integrated weight system ... prefer weight belt. Doesn't have anything to do with the BC I just prefer the belt.

The BC is made of pretty heavy duty material, has stainless steel D rings, double tank bands ...

Suits me fine.

Bade

Back
Top Bottom