PADI Regulations & question - where are they??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

littletunny

Reaction score
Where can I find the PADI regulations online?

I took the classroom and confined water portions about 9 years ago. What is the protocol for being allowed to do the open water dives and get certified? Do I take a refresher course? Do I take the written test?

I spent two semesters in college doing the classroom and confined water portions and I dont want it to go to waste.

Plus I dont have the cash to take the entire course over again.

THANKS!

I dont think anyone will honor 9 year old classroom, and you would be better off taking the course as it has been so long,
as for the regulations, you need an instructor pass to access the material like online regulations, what else are you looking for?

According to my LDS you have to complete everything from the time you start the course to all OW dives within a 6-month period otherwise you have to start all over again.

I think you need to do the whole thing over, but I can't find reference to such time constraints to anything other than Referrals.

you're probably better off re-doing the class. 9 years ago was a long time.

can you get a referral from the place that did your confined water training? records are usually kept for 7 years. w/o a referral, I'm thinking you'd be hard pressed to be able to do much at any PADI organisation.

ETA: were you certified as a Basic Diver or Scuba Diver?

Last edited:
According to my LDS you have to complete everything from the time you start the course to all OW dives within a 6-month period otherwise you have to start all over again.

I am not sure about 6mos, I do know a referal is good for 12 months and it can be extended another 12 months,(that is pretty much where he stopped) and our LDS gives students 12 mos to complete the OW and most other courses before charging students again, but I cant find any regulation about time to complete the OW course, still I doubt anyone would honor a 9 yr old classroom portion, I wouldnt.

Even in the past few years there has been some changes in the (PADI) Open Water Course.
So as you have done it 9 years ago. I think the best is always for you to be up to date.
which ever the changes are...

Most probably 9 years ago they did not even have the Scuba Diver Course. Which basically is
half of the open water.If you wont be able complete the whole open water now. Go for the
scuba diver. Save a bit more and do the rest and get the whole OW.

You get a certification. But restricted. 12m Max..etc..

Or,.. you can find an instructor ho is your friend aswell an will charge you only the padi fee and materials for the course. You do have to pass with an 75 %. Luckely you have done the theoretically part already as the confined water. So it is never a waste to be remembered by. this time the course will be muth easier to do than before, because most of the things will be the same. And besides,.. the skils are a lot of fun to do :))

Sorry but..Standards dictate that you have 1 year from the date of confined water/knowledge development to complete the 4 ow training dives.Any longer than that you start ALL over again. Everything including knowledge reviews-qiz-final exam-pool work..Being it has been 9 years(guess you were not motivated back then) you will need to get new current crewpack or do course online.If done online still will need to purchase a training log and current rdp or eRDPml.

FOUND IT, PG 27 GENERAL STANDARDS & PRACTICE, F.A.Q
There is no time limit as long as the student diver resumes training
with the same instructor. Training may also continue at the
same dive center or resort if team teaching is practiced. Keep in
mind that after an interruption remediation is probably necessary
before the student continues.
Also, if the break in training is 12 months or greater, have
the student diver complete new administrative paperwork
including a liability release, medical statement and Safe Diving
Practices Statement of Understanding.

FOUND IT, PG 27 GENERAL STANDARDS & PRACTICE, F.A.Q
There is no time limit as long as the student diver resumes training
with the same instructor. Training may also continue at the
same dive center or resort if team teaching is practiced. Keep in
mind that after an interruption remediation is probably necessary
before the student continues.
Also, if the break in training is 12 months or greater, have
the student diver complete new administrative paperwork
including a liability release, medical statement and Safe Diving
Practices Statement of Understanding.

I saw that. Also Q:13 (p.28) may be applicable, hence my reference to Basic Diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom