Help my mask has turned orange

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snoopy5386

Reaction score
Last time I went snorkeling was 1998, when I bought mask, snorkel, boots, fins, etc. I just pulled everything out today for an upcoming trip and all the clear silicone has turned orange!!

What Happened?

I stored everything together in one of those rubbermaid totes, could that have caused this? Is there anything I can do to get rid of the orange color?

Is it dangerous to use now? Should I get a new mask and snorkel? The brand is sherwood scuba.

Please Help,
Thanks,
Nicole

No, it's not a problem, nor is it unusual. The older silicon masks have a tendency of doing this, I don't know the scientific reason behind it, but I do see it all the time. You can still use it, it just doesn't look cool.

I've heard other divers claim that something in neoprene is what turns the mask silicone yellow. That is probably true, since I wrap my mask in a beanie for protection mask while traveling to/from dive sites, and my masks turn yellow within a year or so.

All these clear mask skirts turning funky colors and people wonder why the DIR guys like black...:wink:

Cave Diver once bubbled...
All these clear mask skirts turning funky colors and people wonder why the DIR guys like black...:wink:

Is there a thread in the history of this board that those three letters are not mentioned in?

Jeeez.....

The biggest reason I'd imagine clear rubber turns orange (and some colored materials doo too) is heat over time. SOme of the things I use with clear rubber have turned orange, but, *shrug* who cares. it still works!

-Dennis

Walter,

Nothing! Oranges taste great!

-Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom