Where to get a mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

littletunny

Reaction score
OK went to Dicks Sporting Goods to buy a mask for snorkling in Cozumel in a few weeks.

All they had were the mask with the plastic partions between the eyes. The plastic distracted me.

Where can I get mask that has one solid piece of glass?

Should I order online?

Best place? Mask store. Period.

If you're looking to try something on, try your local dive shop. Otherwise, you can buy through Amazon, LiesurePro, Scuba.com, et cetera. I bought my last mask through Amazon, best price I could find for the Cressi-Sub Evolution.

Thanks.

Is there a good affordable mask you could recommend with the one piece glass?

Best place? Mask store. Period.

If you're looking to try something on, try your local dive shop. Otherwise, you can buy through Amazon, LiesurePro, Scuba.com, et cetera. I bought my last mask through Amazon, best price I could find for the Cressi-Sub Evolution.

make sure a mask salesman helps you........

To the OP, it really needs to be tried on for fit BUT you can always return it --if You buy it online...IE, the last 3 masks I bought have been from online, 2 for myself & my wife one, all have fit great--never tried any of them on till they came to the house.........Guess it depends on how much you're willing to gamble in time & a little money(ie returning postage).....

IMO, if you see one you like, it's a great price, go for it.....

My best advice is try other dive shops. I went to over a half dozen shops, trying every mask until I found one that fit me. It took me two days of searching.

Now that I know what fits, I went online and bought a second one as backup.

The downside of buying online is the time it takes to find one that fits well and the buying/returning until you find what you need. On the up side, the final cost in money is cheaper.

The downside of the LDS search method is the cost in gas and time spent traveling to different LDS. The up side is you will end up having the mask sooner, knowing it fits. That and your credit card company will not be wondering what you are up to.

Masks are all about fit. A leaky mask, no matter what it cost, is a problem.

If you have not tried on a few masks in a pool, it's difficult to provide advice. I have a fairly easy face to fit, but some do not.

There is not such thing as a mask store, someone was poking fun. Masks are sold by all Dive Shops that sell retail gear, and by plenty of online dive shops as well. There are a large variety of manufactures, and even various sizes.

My favorite mask is made by Atomic, and it is in fact a single window, low volume mask. If it fits your face, I'd highly recommend that mask, however it's an Atomic, i.e., expensive. I picked up mine on Scubaboard (private seller) and got a deal if you consider $75 new a deal (that mask sells in Dive shops for right under $100).

If you don't know what fits, many online shops like Leisurepro, and Scubatoys offers a free exchange. See their sites for details.

If you have friends that dive, then see if you can try their masks in the pool first to judge fit.

Look into the Dive-Rite single-pane frameless mask:

es145side.jpg

All the advice here is well given. I would recommend the Aeris Coral if you buy online. I have a very small face..so unless you have a very large one... that said, the best bet is to go to as many stores as possible and try them out until you find "your mask".

Take a look at Dive Rite Frameless Mask from Dive Rite Express - $50.

I personally like to shop at the "bottom of the lake" scuba store. Weights, snorkels masks etc... all at unbeatable prices. I picked up this one in the 100' aisle.

Picture047.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom