Disabled Divers/Self Rescue-- Where to learn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMom1

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am sure I'm whacking a hornet's nest here... but I am sincere in my questions. I am now a disabled diver [didn't start that way 20+ yrs ago] and have now gotten back into my passion of diving but there are things that are now difficult or impossible to do unassisted. [ie getting my pack up the steps of a dive boat after the dive unassisted or hauling my pack 120 yrds down the beach to the water]

I don't like being a burden and I'm trying to wrok scenarios that let me be more "self reliant" even if it means making 6 trips to the parking lot rather than one. I used to be a medic and felt pretty comfortable assisting in any UW/surface situation as well.

I REALLY want to take a rescue diver course especially since I have kids diving with me regularly. [notice: DiveMom handle] I may not be able to pull a 6'2-250# up the beach but could definatly assist an out of air, stressed or unconcious diver and "SCREAM" in the shallows to help get them on the beach. I suddenly feel like a 3rd rate dive disaster since I can't lift/carry too much weight.

I've been told by 3 LDS that I don't qualify to take a rescue diver couse simply by virtue of my limitations. Are there other options? I would think the advanced "TRAINING" would not only help avoiding "disasterous" outcomes but would allow me to find other ways to compensate and assist others including my children. Adrenalin can be an amazing thing especially where my kids are concerned.

Any helpful suggestions????

Robin AKA DiveMom

Robin,

You know, truly and honestly, I doubt any diver would consider helping another diver with special needs a burden. Any diver who did view a special needs diver that way I would not want to dive with.

The simple fact is anyone could become disabled at anytime so we should all show sensitivity towards our brothers and sisters who face those challenges. There are many divers who work hard to help people with special needs get into the water, whether they are veterans; folks who have suffered an accident; or someone who is simply getting older.

To your specific question, I've just looked over the NAUI standards for rescue diver. Based on those standards, and what you have written, the standard rescue course would not be appropriate.

So let's whack that hornets nest together; why not approach an instructor and suggest creating a stress or rescue course for divers with special needs. Even if it does not lead to a specific certification, there is a great deal you can learn that can be useful, perhaps even critically useful in some circumstances. A lot of the rescue course is designed to help divers learn to prevent emergencies.

I know if a diver came to me under these circumstances, I'd find a way to work with him or her to build their skills as far as possible. I'm confident most instructors would feel the same.

Jeff

This may be an area where mentoring might fill a void. Perhaps you could find someone who could mentor you in the knowledge you seek. You would not have an official cert but you would still have the knowledge, which is what is important in your situation.

Get in touch with the SUDS people and ask them for advice on how to get certified or ask your LDS if you can just sit in on a class and tell them you do not require a C-card. Sometimes these things come down to a liability issue and a lot of people will not take the risk. Knowledge is just that knowledge. You do not need a Cert Card to assist or perform a rescue. " Gee I would have stopped you from drowning but I am not Certified for that." I also think that the answer thay gave you is BS. I know plenty of divers with the same issues as you and have dove with plenty of them and they are fish in the water. Just because you have problems hauling all that gear up and down a ladder does not disqualify you from assisting in a water rescue. Heck my wife weighs 90 lbs and she has issues hauling her gear also but I'd trust her with my life in the water any day. Keep looking. You will find someone out there who will be willing to instruct you.

A review of the PADI Rescue Diver course learning and performance objectives does show some scenarios that could be a problem for you, such as panicked diver, and exiting and transporting an unconscious diver without assistance. On the other hand, PADI also recommends in their General Standards and Procedures that instructors
suggest adaptive techniques and make reasonable accommodations to assist individuals with disabilities in learning diving skills
Although 3 LDS have said no, that need not be the final answer. Please try again, perhaps armed with the above quote.

I'd welcome you into one of my rescue classes. Either we'd find ways for you to complete the requirements and get certified, or worst case, you'd still learn a lot and be better prepared to render assistance within your limitations.

I am sure I'm whacking a hornet's nest here... but I am sincere in my questions. I am now a disabled diver [didn't start that way 20+ yrs ago] and have now gotten back into my passion of diving but there are things that are now difficult or impossible to do unassisted. [ie getting my pack up the steps of a dive boat after the dive unassisted or hauling my pack 120 yrds down the beach to the water]

The best way to not have an emergency is to stop it before it starts and although I'm not sure about the specific PADI Rescue class content, a big part of the SSI Stress&Rescue class is learning how to recognize and head off problems before anybody requires a rescue.

Also, some of the most important rescue skills involve getting the victim to the surface, ensuring positive buoyancy on the surface and access to fresh air, which really only requires the ability to work and inflator and/or dump valve and or ditch weights. Even if you can't tow back to the boat, you should be able to ensure buoyancy and deploy a signaling device like a big SMB, air horn and/or EPIRB.

Depending on your disability, you may or may not be able to tow someone back to the boat. but if you can get them to the surface, that's a huge help.

Regardless of whether or not you can get an actual "rescue" card, the class is extremely valuable and I'd recommend taking it. Just talk to the instructor ahead of time so you're not pushed into doing "skills" that you can't safely perform.

And For What It's Worth, although there's a lot of emphasis on physical abilities in SCUBA, in reality, most rescue skills can be replaced with a little forethought and finesse. The better you get at recognizing and addressing problems early on, the less "rescuing" you'll have to do. For example, it's a infinitely better to notice a trapped dump valve string and turned off tank valve before someone does a giant stride than it is to chase them down to the bottom for an air share.

Terry

Last edited:
I have talked to some instructors privately. I even suggested paying for a private 1 on 1 class so I did not distract the other students or monopolize the class. I was told there isn't enough money in teaching to make it worth their while ..... that just sounds too sad to me!

I do have a local mentor that I may approach about the issue. He was an instructor and is a very patient and caring diver! He has made my reintegration to the water so much smoother.

Not sure about your area, but due to scheduling issues (we were limited to a week of vacation) my son and I found a private instructor for our rescue class. I concur with the other responses, there may be issues with a couple of the scenarios, but the scope of the course was helpful for me just to feel more comfortable diving with my newly certified daughter.

As you I am usually diving with 1-3 of my children so I truly understand the raised sense of urgency to be a better diver around them.

I'm on the other side of the country or I'd be happy to help.

Back
Top Bottom