Newbie needs Dive Op recommendation for Pompano area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

revjlw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have 10 dives logged and have not been diving since Christmas 2007. I have a condo booked for Pompano Beach Jan 24-30. I plan to do a refresher and then dive - hopefully 3 a day. I had a great experience diving in Okinawa, but must say that I am a little nervous about diving without my son who was my buddy, very experienced and very patient with his old mom! I think what I want to do is actually dive with a hired guide as my buddy. What can folks recommend?

I dove with Parrot Island Scuba in 2008. It was an ok time. But nothing fantastic. Boat was a little crowded. Wave action can be pretty good this time of year. Parrot Island has a nice website. THe Tracy wreck or the Ken Vitale are nice wrecks. Reefs are mostly drift, if you are with the guy with the flag you are not lost. Hope you have fun.

go on a shore dive---it's free (unless you need to rent equipment) and it will give you the opportuntiy to get comfortable in the water again. Then book a trip with any number of operators in the area. Be prepared for some chilly 72 degree water!

10 dives experience and a two year break between dives is not conducive with the shore diving recommendation. Unless you know the conditions, shore diving can be far more dangerous than boat diving.
I would suggest boat diving with a dive master as a little refresher. Besides, the deeper water is still 78 degrees.

The following charter ops will all provide you with a good experience:
Parrot Island Scuba
Scubatyme
Pompano Dive Center
S Florida Diving

Make sure you book the DM to dive with you on that first dive returning to the water.

Thanks deepstops - I also felt that the shore diving option was not a good one. I have contacted the above op and am awaiting their information. I plan to actually do a refresher first. Underwater is no place to mess up.

+1 for parrot island

+1 for shore diving

I have been on over 80 dives with Scubatyme and have never had a bad experience. Amanda is a great divemaster.

I have used S.Florida several times and they made for a good time diving.

With your limited diving experience, I would recommend hiring a private dive master to dive with you on your first dive. The regular dive master on a boat is responsible for keeping an eye on all divers who are following close to him/her. If you run into a problem, unless it is life-threatening, he cannot ascend with you. However, with a private DM, he/she will be focused solely on you and will look after you and correct any problems you are experiencing or help you with issues you are concerned with. Once you are comfortable with your skills, you may decide to dive with a group or team up with a buddy. But make sure you are comfortable first. I know Pompano Dive Center has private DM's that you can hire to attend to you solely. I'm not personally familiar with the other ops, but you can also check them out and see what they have to offer. Make sure your best interests are addressed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom