Not understanding the "whole thing"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yes, this is yet ANOTHER spin-off thread. We now have two threads discussing the pros and cons of various hose arrangements. I totally understand people having differing viewpoints concerning gear arrangements, and open discussion is good in stimulating divers to consider different options and deciding for themselves what works best. What amazes me is the vehemence and tenacity with which many divers promote their personal favorite. Let's face it...Every diver has his/her own likes and dislikes. There is an absolutely huge set of parameters and conditions in which the diving community immerses itself (no pun intended), and what works perfectly in one many times is not optimal in another. Are there going to be differing opinions? Absolutely, but let's not get personal. I understand someone "stating their case". I can not fathom the strident and shrill tone that many take when another diver simply refuses to be "won over" and fully endorse the proposed idea. It's mostly opinion, folks. We're not trying to standardize the world here. (At least, I don't THINK we're doing that...are we?)

I'll get off my soapbox, now.

Yes, this is yet ANOTHER spin-off thread. --------------------------------------------------.Every diver has his/her own likes and dislikes. There is an absolutely huge set of parameters and conditions in which the diving community immerses itself (no pun intended), and what works perfectly in one many times is not optimal in another. ---------------------------------------------------------------- We're not trying to standardize the world here. (At least, I don't THINK we're doing that...are we?)

Actually, I think your assumption is the crux of the problem, they are trying to standardize a one size fits all. This is my opinion based on multiple such threads BP/wing vs BC, long vs short, stuffed vs Hog looped, over and over, over several years here.

The two sides, like the Dr. Seuss west going grinch vs the east going grinch, will never see eye to eye and will likely argue over these things until Hades freezes over without giving an inch either way. For all of the consensus maker personality types out there, I am sure it grates on your psyche (like the OP??), that in fact, sometimes people cannot ever agree for good and honestly given reasons.

N

I prefer the hosed primary with a hoseless octupus

Attachments

• hoseless.jpg
    hoseless.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 130
What was that? Ugliest diver of the month club?

I can't figure out what the shrillness is about, either.

For the vast majority of things, preventing a problem is worth a great deal more than having the ideal strategy to deal with it. I can see being shrill about shop owners who tell instructors they can't teach gas management, and I'd be shrill, I suspect, in responding to someone who defends that position. Divers DO die from running out of gas -- we've had several in the Seattle area, just in the few years I've been diving.

On the other hand, I've never heard of a death caused by someone who needed gas going to someone whose backup regulator proved not to be working. Apparently, even people who let them hang and drag must generally be able to donate. My big reason for having my backup bungied under my chin is that it helps ME out -- and once you have made that decision, the next decisions just logically follow.

We spend a lot of time arguing about vanishingly unlikely scenarios. At some point, you simply have to decide that a risk is too small to worry about, or none of us would ever go diving.

For the vast majority of things, preventing a problem is worth a great deal more than having the ideal strategy to deal with it. I can see being shrill about shop owners who tell instructors they can't teach gas management, and I'd be shrill, I suspect, in responding to someone who defends that position. Divers DO die from running out of gas -- we've had several in the Seattle area, just in the few years I've been diving.

On the other hand, I've never heard of a death caused by someone who needed gas going to someone whose backup regulator proved not to be working. Apparently, even people who let them hang and drag must generally be able to donate. My big reason for having my backup bungied under my chin is that it helps ME out -- and once you have made that decision, the next decisions just logically follow.

We spend a lot of time arguing about vanishingly unlikely scenarios. At some point, you simply have to decide that a risk is too small to worry about, or none of us would ever go diving.
I've seen someone mugged for his primary and then dragged to the surface.
he was unable to locate the octo dangling below him and didn't have a regulator for the whole trip.

Those other threads are ridiculous; I can't believe people will burry themselves in the trenches over minor details. It like college, if people want to seek a higher education and earn a degree people will seek out the classes and learn that way. If people want to learn by life experience, reading books, and online forums, then they'll learn that way. For the others who are content on where their skills fall in the grand scheme of things, so be it….the scuba police are not grading each dive. Dive, and be happy…who cares what your dive?

It's a guy thing ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

On one side you have the PADI Police, on the other side you have the DIR Swat.

That's why Dork Divers rule. We don't care how you dive as long as you do it safely and in the best fun manners.

Back
Top Bottom