New World Record for Surface Interval...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats pretty cool!!

Dumb question, wouldn't the air have gone through filters etc that would skew any test results for air quality? or did they not do that back then?

Thats pretty cool!!

Dumb question, wouldn't the air have gone through filters etc that would skew any test results for air quality? or did they not do that back then?

I'm certainly not an expert on this, and I hesitate to comment without having a real background in the field... but I think that filters mainly remove particulate matter (such as dust, spores, etc..). They wouldn't separate out molecular level pollutants (such as propellants and refrigerants).

Of course, there are membranes that are used in the preparation of various nitrox and trimix mixes which separate at the molecular level, but that would different than the filters that are used for air.

It all depends on the compressor he was using, doesn't it?

If the air intake was in an area with operating internal combustion motors, then you'd expect elevated CO2 and Hydrocarbons.

If the compressor was poorly cooled, then elevated CO.

Today, a great filter stack will indeed remove propellants and refrigerants, along with CO, hydrocarbons and such huge things as dust. Back then, the filters...not so much.

Just look at membrane nitrox systems - they are essentially a molecular level sieve.

Any data is good to have, though.

All the best, James

It all depends on the compressor he was using, doesn't it?

Agreed. The air in that tank only provides a sample of the air that compressor put into that tank, plus whatever air was already in that tank.

The likelihood of that air being a representative sample of the overall atmosphere in general at that time is approximately ZERO, almost by definition.

I think I might be able to beat him.
I have a Healthways ST72 with only the original hydro of 1958 that still has air in it. I can't say when it was filled last but if one goes by the hydro the air would date to 1963. I haven't done anything with the cylinder since I got it as it has a 1/2" valve and nobody wants to fill it (yet). I've kept the air in it so it won't rust out in the mean time.

Greetings fellow divers this is a interesting concept that without a doubt is just beginning. Certainly there are other cylinders out there as already mentioned.
I guess the antique air search is born as for the actual science behind it we may never know. The real truth may be contrary to opinion held by the Greenhouse camp thus not widely proclaimed. But lets just admit the real interesting factor is the cylinder condition and what it looks like on the inside. I am sorry just a personal interest in breathing cylinders. Have fun everyone and the search is on for old air!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I'd say his tanks are a bit overdue for inspection and hydro. :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom