Mask suggestion for a big forehead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roneyj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I must have an odd shaped head. All mask I have tried seem to press against my face right between the eyes. I have been using a Tusa Visio Tri-Ex and it has been the best so far. Just putting a mask to my face I feel it touching my big ole eyebrow! When I strap it on not even tight, its pressed firmly against the mega brow. After a couple of dives it can get rather painful. Surely I am not the only one. Any suggestions on a mask to try. Thanks!!!

I have the same problem, a protruding brow. The XS-Scuba Merge is the only reasonably low volume mask I have been able to find. It happens to be the main mask in my LDSs rental fleet because it fits a lot of faces and is moderately priced.

XS Scuba MA400 Merge Scuba Mask

I have bought a lot of masks over almost 50 years. This was never a problem in the old oval mask days. Every time I bought a mask that touched my brow, regardless of how long the suction held it to my face, it leaked an annoying slow trickle of salt water over both eyes.

I have a cro magnon dive buddy. I believe the mask he found that fit him was a Tusa Geo. I hope that helps

Get a single lens mask. Double lens masks have a bridge in the middle that rub against your forehead.

Be very suspicious of single lens masks where you can see your skin pressed up against the lens. They always seem to leak on me. I do not recall ever having a mask that sealed dry and did not press against my brow or nose bridge leak. The best of all worlds is to get a candidate wet before buying. Unfortunately, dive shops with on-site pools are becoming increasingly rare and the chance of a particular mask being in their rental fleet is even less probable.

I would recommend a full brass helmet. I believe i've seen one in the Smithsonian. :D

Try the atomic aquatics frameless mask on. If your LDS has it then youre golden. This is the first mask I've used that didnt leave a mark on the middle of my forehead as you describe.

Atomic frameless
SK Scuba Panoramic
Deep Sea Omni Single lens
Aqualung Infinity

Back
Top Bottom