Site and shop recommendations near Ocala/Crystal Rive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hunter76

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all, I'll be visiting my folks at the Villages and need to get off the compound in order to remain sane, so I was wondering if any one could recommend a dive op at an interesting location. FYI I'm a realitively new diver 20 dives, mostly in cold lakes and some in St Croix. Thanks for you help and have a great day.

Scott

Thanks for the info. Just checked out the website, look interesting. I'll see what the have to offer.

Scott

Here are a few others:

<<<DiveBlueGrotto.com>>> is about 2 miles from Devil's Den

The official page of Ginnie Springs Outdoors, in High Springs Florida. Visit our online shop for great deals on dive gear and accessories. is a few more miles up I-75 but is a cool dive

Paradise Springs - Scuba Dive this Spring / Sinkhole this is right in Ocala, not as well known and no dive shop on site, cool close dive though

Welcome to Florida State Parks

Welcome to Florida State Parks

You out to be able to find something to you liking. Of course you can always do Crystal River, Rainbow River Drift Dive is okay.

Good luck

My advice would be to stay out of Paradise Springs. It is a silty, low-flow cavern - which means that if you aren't careful and employ good buoyancy/anti-silting technique you can silt the whole place out. It is a true cavern/cave dive and IMO, unless you are at least cavern certified you should not attempt the dive. Beyond 100' it is absolutely a cave dive and one diver has in fact died there.

The owner/operator (like many others) considers it "OW friendly" because they want to make money (understandably). However, the dive is 99% in an overhead environment. There is zero OW zone aside from the small entry pool - which is literally the size of a SMALL swimming pool.

Devil's Den and/or Blue Grotto would be much better choices. Devil's Den would be my choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom