Weight used with single AL80 and 3mm wetsuit

How much weight do you usew/AL80 and 3mm wetsuit?

• 1-3 lbs.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • 4-6 lbs.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • 7-9 lbs.

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • 10-12 lbs.

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • 13-15 lbs.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • 16-18 lbs

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • 19-21 lbs.

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnCollins

Reaction score
How much weight do you use (in saltwater) with a 3mm full wetsuit and a single AL80? In your post, put your height and weight, and amount weight used if you're not shy about that.

Folks have always thought I use a lot of weight and I'm wondering if it's my body density or what. I'm 6'0" tall and 205 pounds (male) and use 18 lbs. with my new wetsuit, although I need another dive to fine tune this.

JPC

I wore 16 lbs in the gear you specified. I felt a little bit heavy. Next trip I'll try 14 lbs. I'm 6'0" and my weight ranges between 260 and 265.

With an AL80 and 3mm suit in warm water I use "zero" weight.

Your new suit (steamer?) has more buoyancy than an older one which has been compressed alot. Also BCD size, fins, etc will impact buoyancy.

I needed 16 lbs with my Zeagle which has 65 lbs lift (I call it my floating sofa). That is with a shortie 3mm. I am 6 feet and was 240 lbs that trip.

I think you use whatever weight keeps you properly weighted on your buoyancy check and don't get worried about what other people think.

It's just that so many folks get wide eyes :wacko: when I mention my weight. But I dove a lot years ago with a 2mm suit and I was a little slimmer then and I used 13 lbs then. A brand new, thicker (and larger) suit and a little bit of middle-aged spread could easily account for the extra lbs needed. And years ago, we didn't do safety stops on non-deco dives, so this neutral check at 20 ft. with 500 lbs wasn't being widely taught.

I guess I'm OK and, like most things in life this poll is probably going to trace a bell curve when it's done. So I'm in the right tail of the distribution. No worries.

I am neutral in freshwater and weigh 220 lbs

An AL80 is about +4 lbs when empty
A 3mm full is about +4 lbs
Saltwater adds 2 1/2% of body weight (or about 5 lbs)

That means I dive with about 13 lbs, in those conditions

However, I now dive with steel 120's, which are -1 lb when empty, which gives me 8 lbs with a 3mm in saltwater.

Im 5'8" 215lbs wear a 3 mil and an AL80 and I wear 12lbs, in a BP/Harness, w/ my old Zeage I wouold wear 16lbs.

unless you have a lot of fat on your body you really shouldnt need that much weight IMO.

Have you tried doing a weight ck at the end of your dive???

Im sure you've heard of it before: 500psi in tank, no air in BC, try to hover at 15ft. If you find that you have to put a good amount of air to hover then you are more than likely carrying too much lead.

Good luck.

I'm 6'11 and 380lbs. I use 8lbs with a 3mm in freshwater.

Single Al 80 (fresh) - 0 lbs

Single Al 80 (salt) - 6 lbs

Double Al 80s (fresh) - 0 lbs

I'm 6', 170 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom