What newbies should know about our arguments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman

Reaction score
On ScubaBoard we argue about two things:
1. Training agencies. We are all divers well past initial certification.
We still argue about which agency trains new divers the best. It has the same relevance as grad students debating how good their high school was. Some instructors take this very seriously.
Don't try to joke with them. Oh, PADI certified most of us but we have to pretend it's no good and littering the bottom of lakes with dead divers. Mike will tell you all about it.

2.DIR/GUE. This is a training method complete with jargon and equiptment. It's supposed to be a good way to dive. The followers reguard joking about DIR in the same way that Baptist preachers reguard joking about the Bible. They respond to any jibes with outrage. They have no sense of humor when it comes to DIR. Be careful what you say or they will consign you to the depths of Hell with the dead PADI divers.

There, you're ready for ScubaBoard. Go get 'em!

That does cover just about all the flame wars exexpt the Regulator vs. freedom of expression war that often rages.

your post "Thank Heavens For PADI". I seriously expected it to cause network failure or disk space problems.

I was seriously LMAO in the office after reading the initial post and then contented myself with watching the number of responses climb and climb.

Well done on both counts!

Dave:D

Lawman forgot to add one key thing....

In order to start all these flame wars...you need some sort of spark/ignition.....

Lawman has an uncanny ability to spark fires at will.....thus he is known to many as "Super-Troll"

learn-scuba once bubbled...
Can we start an argument about diving naked or not just to see what happens? A change of pace might be fun ~smile~

As one of our writers says: "Dive naked! Sharks love hot-dogs!"=-)

If you want to teach people how not to crash into corals and to trim their "equipment" so it doesn't drag across the reef, just take their clothes away from them. A guy's only gonna drag his "depth gauge" across fire coral once in that case. ~grin~

Hey Lawman,

You forgot about the evil money-stealing LDS who supports poor training vs. the engineers who buy their gear on the internet and are completely self-sufficient.

Fire Coral that way? YEOUCH!

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
thus he is known to many as "Super-Troll"

Among other things. Personally, I regard him as a waste of bandwidth. The other names I have in mind would be edited if I were to try typing them.

Lawman is intimidated because of his poor dive skills and lack of motivation to improve. He expects other divers, whether DIR advocate or not, to learn to bang around on the coral, or at least to accept that Lawman doesn't care that he does. Doing so will allow Lawman to feel better about his skills and all the coral he's destroyed.

Note that this has nothing to do with DIR/anti-DIR.

And I propose a new dive agency to debate.

DIN

Doing It NAKED

Yeah, I am up for that...

learn-scuba once bubbled...
Can we start an argument about diving naked or not just to see what happens? A change of pace might be fun ~smile~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom