goota buy a computer for liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nevinsdb

New
Reaction score
we are going to do a live abaod to socorro islands and we need to purchase a computer..I am electronically retarded and would appreciate sugestions for a very basic but informative computer to purchase. i have never understood most of the ones that i have used on rental equip. i am reluctant to give up my depth gauge but i think most of them mount in that spot correct??:confused:

My wife and I really like our Suunto Vypers. Good computer program availability, where you can see your dive profile on your home computer. It is also a very conservative computer, it seems to error on the side of caution. If I were to purchase it over, I think I would go for the Vytech or Cobra for air integration (because you need a separate air guage if you don't). Also, wireless transmitters would be nice too. Check them out!
:guitar:

Any of the various hocky puck style computers made by Pelagic are easy to interpret.

Genesis still sells a couple models of this basic design and they should fill the bill. The React Pro is nitrox capable while the Resource Pro is an air only computer. Both have intuitive bar graphs to display deco information and the other numbers on the computer are pretty self explanatory. They also will fit in the hole for the depth gauge on many different consoles.

Oceanic sells their nitrox capable Data Plus which is similar in function to the React Pro. Oceanic also sells the newer air only Veo 100 and Versa computers as well as the nitrox capable Veo 200. All seem to be updated versions of the same hocky puck design. I'm not sure how amenable the newer computers are to being placed in a standard console though.

nevinsdb once bubbled...
we are going to do a live abaod to socorro islands and we need to purchase a computer... <snip>

i have never understood most of the ones that i have used on rental equip.:confused:

Given what you just said, are you sure you want to put blind faith in a small electronic device?

Cornfed

Howdy,

I've owned just 2 computers (non of wich Im recomending here), but I can tell you that if you are confused by comps you might wanna look into a Suunto mosqito, or a Oceanic pro plus.

The mosqito isnt as nice as the vyper but its simple to use and dosent have too many features (a drawback for most), and the Oceanic is really easy to read. Just my thoiughts.

I have got an Oceanic Data Plus. It is a console module and I have it set up as a wrist mount. You don't have to give up your mechanical depth guage.

It cost a bit under two hundred, is pretty easy to figure out (as long as you don't go into dives involving decompression stops), and has a thermometer and light.

I have the PC hookup so I can review profiles and temperatures.

If it fails, I'll get another one.

I have a ScubaPro/Uwatec Pro-Nitrox wrist style. That way I still have my gages and use both. I wouldn't be without my gages as that is what I do with my hands too - hold on to it. It is the only computer I have used but I too am what I consider "computer challenged" and this one is very user friendly.

If you go this route be sure and get the Memo Mouse to download your dives into and then on to your PC. But download after every 2 or 3 dives or 90 minutes so you are sure and get all the data.

Any computer is going to be confusing in the beginning, in my opinion but the LDS you get if from should show you how it works or even have a Computer Class.

Enjoy
Becky

cornfed once bubbled...

Given what you just said, are you sure you want to put blind faith in a small electronic device?

Cornfed

AMEN, BROTHER!! I SAY, I SAY, HEAL, HEAL THYSELF CHILDREN!!:loopy:

Or in other words, ya gotta know what it's tryin' ta tell ya before ya can use it as a tool!

To paraphrase what Mr. Natural used to say: "Get the right KNOWLEDGE for the job, kids!!!" :grad:

The suggestions for a nitrox-compatible hockey puck or Vyper seem reasonable.

Hopefully, your lack of familiarity with computer design and function doesn't indicate a lack of advanced dive skills. The Socorros can be a demanding destination, serious currents, surge, and abundance of apex predators.

Our dives at Roca Partido were very challenging, the downcurrents were exceptionally strong. But the payoffs were worth it...giant mantas on every dive and enough sharks to satisfy anyone.

nevinsdb once bubbled...
we are going to do a live abaod to socorro islands and we need to purchase a computer..I am electronically retarded and would appreciate sugestions for a very basic but informative computer to purchase. i have never understood most of the ones that i have used on rental equip. i am reluctant to give up my depth gauge but i think most of them mount in that spot correct??:confused:

It sounds like the computer is just a requirement for this particular trip. You could just rent a pair of wrist mount computers and leave your gauges on your rig. Then you can show the dive op the computer and your "backup gauges" to make them happy.

I have been diving with several different computers. The most simple was the Suunto "Favor S". I did my OW with one of these but we simply treated it as a digital depth gauge and bottom timer. I didn't have to push any button on the thing either day of my OW checkout. I'd dive and it would start the bottom timer. I'd surface and it would display max depth and dive time. Nothing to configure or get confused about.

I currently dive a Vytec and would recommend staying away from it if you are not comfortable with computers. I love it but because of all its features it can take a little work to get configured correctly. It took me a couple dives to even start to scratch its potential.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom