Is Tusa a decent brand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba13

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I looking into brands of stuff to buy. Tusa caught my eye. They look like they have nice regs/dive comp. I dont care for their BCD's though. Anyways, are they decent?

Great masks, I don't like anything else they make...

Roak

I have a Tusa regulator ... RS130 balanced piston. I purchased it during my OW class, 2-1/2 years ago. To date I've put 605 dives on it, plus more pool time than most divers will ever do (unless you're working with classes).

As someone mentioned ... this is not high-end gear. However, for the price it's a really well-performing reg. I will be "upgrading" shortly ... but plan to continue keeping this one in service as a back-up reg. As long as you maintain it properly, you should get plenty of service out of it.

I also started out with a Tusa Imprex Pro BCD. For the money it wasn't a bad BCD ... but as my skills improved I found that it had limitations (a lot of tank movement on my back that hampered my ability to control a hover with slight, subtle movement). After my first 220 or so dives, I "traded up" to a ScubaPro Superhawk which was far superior. About 350 dives later I got into a backplate system, which is far better than the Superhawk.

Tusa computers are just repackaged Suunto's. For the same money, if you're planning to go with a console, get the Suunto. It's more streamlined, and comes with a better compass. My advice is forget the console ... get a wrist computer, a compass either on your wrist or on a retractor, and a mechanical pressure gauge ... in the long run, it's simpler to use than a console, plus easier to pick up pieces that fit your specific needs and budget.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My buddy has a pair of the x-pert zoom fins by Tusa. Good price, good performance, and the quality is not bad. not better than Apollo or Atomic but it's less than $100.

NWGratefulDiver once bubbled...

I also started out with a Tusa Imprex Pro BCD. For the money it wasn't a bad BCD ... but as my skills improved I found that it had limitations (a lot of tank movement on my back that hampered my ability to control a hover with slight, subtle movement). After my first 220 or so dives, I "traded up" to a ScubaPro Superhawk which was far superior. About 350 dives later I got into a backplate system, which is far better than the Superhawk.

Tusa computers are just repackaged Suunto's. For the same money, if you're planning to go with a console, get the Suunto. It's more streamlined, and comes with a better compass. My advice is forget the console ... get a wrist computer, a compass either on your wrist or on a retractor, and a mechanical pressure gauge ... in the long run, it's simpler to use than a console, plus easier to pick up pieces that fit your specific needs and budget.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Scuba 13,

Learn from the above post. Bob like many of us on this board has spent some cash buying gear over again. If I would have gotten the gear I have now in the beggining I would have saved a lot of $$, even if it seemed like a good deal at the time. BP/W, and wrist comp being the most noticeble. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

Good luck

scubahorse once bubbled...
My buddy has a pair of the x-pert zoom fins by Tusa. Good price, good performance, and the quality is not bad. not better than Apollo or Atomic but it's less than $100.

My first fins were Tusa Liberators. They were well made and took a beating, but as my diving capabilities increased and I compared them to other fins like Quats, they paled greatly in comparison.

I finally cut them short and used them for pool fins.

I hear ya guys, but I'm not going to be diving much ( maybe 10 times a year max) And I don't have a whole lot of money I want to spend on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom