Places to camp/stay around cypress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrmccoy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What's the closest place to camp or stay around cypress ? I'm finally making plans to check it out in 2 weeks!

Not sure about the camping but Vortex campground is only about 30 minutes away from Cypress if that gives you some perspective. When are you going to Cypress? I am still not cleared to dive....but snorkeling and taking pictures at Cypress might help my withdrawal!

Yep that's right...I did just hijack this thread AND invite myself...sorry Jonathan!:D

What's the closest place to camp or stay around cypress ? I'm finally making plans to check it out in 2 weeks!

Honestly, I would just camp at Vortex. The exit for Cypress (Vernon) is the next exit after the one for Vortex.

I love going to Cypress so If you want to guide I would be up for it as long as it was on a weekend. I have a canoe that would fit three. I already know Glen, we dive together quite a bit.

I thought they closed Cypress down when the bottling Company bought it. It has been a long time since I have been there.

Sure your invited Glen! Coop and I are planning on going Aug 27.

Wjefferis: we are going on a Friday but your more then welcome to come. The fella I'm planning this with is supposed to be check on a little Jon boat but nothing is set in stone yet.

Cypress has no land access only by boat.

Ok, It was alot better when you can drive in. Are you putting in at the bridge in Vernon?

Most people put in at Culpepper landing. It is only a 25 minute paddle by canoe from there and about a five minute trip by motorized boat.

Wjefferis: we are going on a Friday but your more then welcome to come.

I get Friday-Sundays off, so I see no reason why I couldn't make it. What time are you planning on getting to Culpepper Landing?

Sounds good to me. I spoke with Dan yesterday about other stuff. I will talk with him soon and see what you guys work out. If Walter is coming he and I can team up to save room. Yep, that's right...I just invited myself in to Walter's canoe!

Sure your invited Glen! Coop and I are planning on going Aug 27.

Wjefferis: we are going on a Friday but your more then welcome to come. The fella I'm planning this with is supposed to be check on a little Jon boat but nothing is set in stone yet.

Cypress has no land access only by boat.

Here are some rough directions for those out there who might not know how to get to Cypress. All you have to do is get off I-10 at exit 104. Turn right and follow the road (Pate pond Rd) straight into Vernon. Once Pate Pond Roda dead ends you are in Vernon. Turn right onto Main Street. you will go across a bridge going over Holmes Creek. Once you cross the bridge after a couple hundred feet you will see a traffic round-about. Follow the road (Roach ave aka state road 277) Follow this road several miles. Culpepper road will be on the left. Fololow culpepper to the end and the boat launch is right there. Once in the water take a right and go downstream. The creek will fork. take the left fork. Keep going down the creek some more and the creeek will fork once again. Take the left fork again. This is the run for Cypress. It will dead end and the spring head.

cypress_route_3_copy.jpg

cypress_route_copy.jpg

cypress_route_2_copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom