Djibouti Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive_Girl_09

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there,

I am contemplating about a trip to Djibouti in Dec/Jan. Has anyone been there recently? Any recommendation or advise? Is there any other diving option besides liveaboard?

Thanks!

I asked this, too, a few months ago, and received almost as few replies. Seems there is not a lot of information on Djibouti diving. My question focused on liveaboards in Djibouti or, alternatively, Port Sudan, but shore-based diving would be fine, too.

Any updates?

I asked this, too, a few months ago, and received almost as few replies. Seems there is not a lot of information on Djibouti diving. My question focused on liveaboards in Djibouti or, alternatively, Port Sudan, but shore-based diving would be fine, too.

Any updates?

I did a research and I found Bienvenue chez Djibouti Divers but it is a liveaboard. You can contact them if you like.

Alternatively, I found Sudan Diving which is also a liveaboard business. Unfortunately for the OP, there was nothing for dive center that I could find. Sorry...
But Lorenzoid, I hope I was helpful

Thanks, Nikos. I've found a few by Googling "Djibouti diving," but it would be nice if someone had a first-hand recommendation.

Recently read a work of fiction entitled Djibouti (can't remember the author). If there is any truth to it, the place must be pretty wild! Of course it was fiction and I've never been there myself.

A bit late on this. Pretty good diving with plenty to see. (weather permitting of course) Checkout Dolphin Excusions Djibouti on facebook. Pretty good group of people. Dan would be your contact.

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
I have nothing at all whatsoever to add...

I just always wanted an opportunity to say "Sheikh, Sheikh, Sheikh Djibouti!" :mooner:

Damn Sakara :D

C.

I worked in Djibouti but only for 3 months and not during the period that you are talking about. I worked for a French divecenter that was based in Djiboutiville and operated on the island of Moucha (approx 20 mins)

Diving is mainly sandy bottoms (you're in a gulf) but with wall diving on the northern side. Pelagics are rare but occasional sightings of mantas and the odd shark. Many rays to be seen. Viz during March-May was averaging 10m- water was warm- didn't need wetsuits.

Whalesharks are abundant in Dec but I left before then as the working conditions were fairly arse.

I recently finished a temporary assignment in Djibouti, where my wife and I were able to take advantage of some free time for diving. We used Dolphin Excursions, based out of Djibouti town. They are really the only diving operations in the country that operates primarily in English.

We went on a one day dive off Mousha Island to see how the operation ran, before signing up for 4 days on their liveaboard. We were impressed with the quality of equipment, pre-dive briefings & stress on safety. Dan, Allyson and Kirsten, the instructors, were all professional yet fun divers. While we weren't that impressed with Mousha Island, we felt better about going on the 96-hour trip to the Bay of Goubet.

If you have the opportunity, don't hesitate to sign up for their liveaboard. The entire trip ran smoothly, diving 4 times some days, with a good group of staff & divers. The ship captain was incredibly knowledgeable of the dive sites & gave clear, easy to follow briefings. Diving was from skiffs, and the local skiff pilots were very helpful in pickup & drop-off. And the food on board was great, an added bonus.

The other dive operation in Djibouti, Blue Lagoon (Lagon bleu), works out of Kempinski Hotel. I found them less than forthcoming about dive pricing, giving individual dive prices without telling us their trips require you to pay for meals as well. (They do not allow you to take food or drinks on their dives to Mousha Island, but force you to pay for meals through them.) Additionally, they majority of their clientele are French speaking, so most of the instruction/briefings are in French. But I was told by local divers that Lagon bleu is a safe company to dive with.

Warning on Djibouti: The country is incredibly expensive compared to similar countries/locations. The cheapest, clean hotel we found was $60/night (le Heron Auberge). Most will cost at least $120/night, and those in the center of town lacked a lot in basic cleanliness. Djibouti is not a true tourist destination, and businesspeople their do not know how to cater to tourists. You will struggle unless you have at least some basic French language skills. AND IT IS FREAKING HOT!!!

Safe diving & safe travels.

Back
Top Bottom