New to scuba, trying snorkel first

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robomatic

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm brand new to the bay area and scuba diving (went once in Boracay) and since moving here a few months ago I've been getting more and more to the idea of scuba diving, but am going to be trying my hand at snorkeling first, mostly because of costs :)

I bought some gear, Pinnacle elastiprene 7mm suit, with the leisure pro Pinnacle set, sorry I can't post links.

I thought i got a pretty killer deal, but what's your expert opinion on the suit and do you think it's warm enough?

Also, have never snorkeled here ever. What's a good, close (less than 2 hour drive) site from San Francisco that's safe and has tons of sea life? I've got no idea. I saw a place online called Greyhound Rock but it just sounds too challenging for a landlubber like me. Anyone free on a weekend (26th or later) to guide me and possibly another noob around and show us tips/tricks? Any advice at all is appreciated! Thanks everyone

I'd stay away from Greyhound Rock (Peter C has a good story about it). I have a Pinnacle 7mm elast jump suit with about 150 dives on it and it has always been fine in local water (though I prefer diving dry.)

I'd stay away from Greyhound Rock (Peter C has a good story about it).
Yup! Stay away from there. It is not a site for anyone that is not highly experienced. Hinalo is referencing a story I recently told him of us almost dieing in a RIB. It is not far from Maverics and on par surf wise.

I have never dove Coral Street, but hear it is sheltered and shallow. On a good day Point Lobos with clear vis would be nice for snorkeling.

Up here on the North Coast we have Gerstle Cove that works perfect for a little free diving and is pretty shallow and well sheltered from anything but a South swell. Tons of life as it is a Marine Reserve.

There is also Still Water Cove in Sonoma County which is again the North Coast, but I would recommend Gerstle Cove over Still Water.

Are you freediving or just snorkling, there's a difference.
During the weekends at Breakwater, when all the basic scuba "aquatots" are scuttling about, you won't be able to see much from the surface.
If you and your buddy are planning on doing some extended freedives (10-30 secs under) then it may be worth it.
Else you won't really be seeing much, and you'll have to contend with the fishing lines being cast next to the wall, where most of the life is.
Don't forget to equalize your ears if you dive. If you don't know how to do this then let us know, we'll try to explain it to you, but at the same time we'll also suggest you take a basic skin diving class first.

Not knowing your freediving, snorkeling, or swimming skills, I can't really recommend any other sites to you.

One nice thing about Breakwater though, is there's plenty of divers there who would love to share their advice and opinions on scuba diving.
I'll be there with a university class on the 26th and 27th, TAing for a basic checkout dive. Feel free to drop on by if you're in the area. Just look for the 2 white vans and open bed trailer. Or stop on by the shore edge and look for someone with a clipboard. ;P

You can ask for Ryan so you don't seem too creepy.

Also with your suit, 7mm minimum is the way to go here.
If you do get chilly in your 7mm, I would suggest buying a hooded vest before thinking of upgrading the whole thing.

You'll also want booties, gloves, hood and a cutting device.
You should also rent or buy a weightbelt and weights if you plan on actually diving under the water.
15lbs is my schools recommended minimum for starting out in skin gear (wetsuit, snorkel gear, fins, gloves etc). 15lbs is enough to make you work a little bit to start your dive, but once you pass 15ft you start to get a little neutral.

I choose 3/5mm hood, 5mm booties, and 3mm gloves for dexterity. Although you can go higher in thickness if you want. I would only recommend it if you have poor circulation or low tolerance for cold.
Have fun, be safe!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys, i'll probably start on breakwater.

unfortunately the bib of the hood i ordered doesn't fit in my suit without compromising the neck seal so i'm off to look into another one. Any recommendations for bay area (preferrably in the city) dive shops?

Bamboo Reef has a store in the city. And a little bit south (San Carlos) there's Wallin's Dive Center. On the way to Monterey you can find Any Water Sports in San Jose, and in Monterey: Aquarius (on Del Montey), Aquarius 2 (on the wharf, not related to Aquarius on Del Monte) and Bamboo Reef.

And yes, on a good day, you'll find lots of things to keep you entertained at the Breakwater. Enjoy!

"unfortunately the bib of the hood i ordered doesn't fit in my suit without compromising the neck seal so i'm off to look into another one. Any recommendations for bay area (preferrably in the city) dive shops?"

I have a couple of hoods for sale - cheap! Please send me a PM if interested:
IMG_9477 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_9419 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I also have additional items should you be interested:
Richard Mork's Dive Sale - a set on Flickr

To the thread - sorry for the commercial plug.....

I have dove the Pinnacle elastiprene 7mm suit with a bibed hood in our local waters and found it adequate. When I ditched the bibed hood for a 5 mil hooded vest I found it quite nice.

I strongly recommend getting a hooded vest to go with that suit. I think you will be happy if you do.

BTW I was super happy with the freedom of mobility that the Elastiprene 7 offed, especially in the shoulders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom