Is the P-valve really worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emttim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Alright, so I'm aware of all the benefits with the P-valve, since they're pretty obvious, but the obvious negatives are making me hesitate. Getting a dry suit on is enough of a PITA without one extra step. The possibility of the system failing and me getting urine all over the inside of the suit (and me) isn't appealing either. On the other hand, the obvious freedom to drink lots of water and stay hydrated would be pretty nice.

For those guys who have dry suits, with or without P-valves, what are your thoughts on having one or not having one?

I originally didn't get one with my suit, but I'm contemplating it after hearing about the undeserved hit my divemaster in Hawaii told me about, that he got, which sounded like dehydration was a contributing factor to.

YES!!
I don't use mine unless I'm doing dives over an hour, but I wouldn't buy a suit without one, and certainly take full advantage of it if I'm doing any deco, or longer dives. Other option is a relief zipper, but I'm not a fan...

I can't imagine not having a pee-valve. I currently use an "H" valve that I am happy with, but would use this Light Monkey one if I needed a new one. Very similar to the "H" brand. I have used unbalanced super simple bolt style with success, but like the flow of the "H" brand better.

Being well hydrated and comfortable on any dive is the best way to dive. I consider the p-valve a god sent and almost always hook up for a dive. My back up suit doesn't have a p-valve and I find that it makes properly hydrating hard. What goes in must come out. As far as an accident occurring, this will happen at some point and it is not a big deal other than a little teasing from the buddy. It happens to everyone eventually...it is what it is. The more hydrated you are, the less concentrated it will be... As long as you keep the valve clean, there really isn't too long of a list of cons.

Yes it's well worth the effort, even for gals :). So nice not to be forced to time hydration or take drysuit on/off on SI's. Especially on boats.

worth it. get one, and don't look back.

When you hook up the plumbing, start the process before you get to depth. It's good to have a little liquid in the tube to make sure that things are flowing and not kinked, blocked, etc..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom