Zeagle Scout?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

longshotgene

Registered
Reaction score
I will lay it all out right now. I am as new to scuba as a newborn is to the world. I have read a lot, but I am to the point of burn out in terms of investigating. I want to get my own gear, and have found that the Zeagle Scout looks like a good match. What will I not like about this BC? I live in Indiana, so I am diving in cold water with crap for visibility. I expect to do about 100-200 dives a year once I get my gear. A lot of this will be in the summer as I only have a 7mm suit. I appreciate any honest opinions. I want something that is going to last, and I don't want to get suckerpunched paying a lot of money for a BC, when I could have bought something cheaper and never noticed the difference. Here are my physical stats.

6'1"
200 pounds-Mostly muscle, as I visit the gym 5 times a week.

For information sake, I have only had experience with the entry-model Seaquest BC in my open water classes.

I have about 80 dives. I did the first 50 with my Scout and I really like it. I have recently transitioned to a BP&W because it is required if I want to do Intro to Cave. If not for that I'd still be using the Scout. The Scout weighs less than my AL BP&W but the BP packs slightly better. Both are great for travel.

I am similarly proportioned to you. The only issue is that you are likely to have is the standard 24# lift wing. My two-piece 7 mm wetsuit with gloves and hood loses about 20# lift, so you have to be very careful to not overweight if you are diving deeper. You also have to make sure to drain any water from your wing between dives. Personally I prefer to start the dive with slight positive buoyancy. By 15 feet I am neutral. As the dive progresses I consume air but cold neoprene rebounds very slowly, so even having used 5-7# of air I am still neutral just below the surface by the end of a dive.

lost count of the dives I have on mine. It is my primary BC and until recently it was also my travel BC. I dive it with anything from a swim suit and t shirt to a drysuit. 24 lbs is usually plenty unless you are diving a very thick wet suit or large twin steel tanks

When I purchased my Scout I had ScubaToys swap a 35# wing for the standard 24# I wanted a safety margin when diving an HP 100 with a drysuit in Monterey. The amount of lead in my trim pockets plus the negative buoyancy of a full tank can actually get pretty close to that 24#. Herman's right of course, you probably don't need more than the 24#, but I'm a worrier.

I also cut the cummerbund off my Scout but that's a personal preference thing.

Anyway, the Scout's simple, tough, well made and travels well. I love it.

I chose a Scout as my first BC and love it so far.No complaints.
I got the 35# wing so I would have it if I need it.When I started diving I didn't know what kind of diving I would get into so I wanted something that could cover a broad range.
I dive a 7mm in colder months and the Scout will tend to "turtle" a bit with the added weight but moving some to the front pockets takes care of it.
I also found that a couple of pounds on the top cam band really helps with trim for me but YMMV.

I chose a Scout as my first BC and love it so far.No complaints.
I got the 35# wing so I would have it if I need it.When I started diving I didn't know what kind of diving I would get into so I wanted something that could cover a broad range.
I dive a 7mm in colder months and the Scout will tend to "turtle" a bit with the added weight but moving some to the front pockets takes care of it.
I also found that a couple of pounds on the top cam band really helps with trim for me but YMMV.

I found that in cold water my Scout would turtle me if I put a substantial amount of weight in the built-in pockets. This is true of many other similar designs. The trick it to trim out the Scout with some weight in the top pockets, a small amount in the bottom pockets, and keep the majority of your weight on a separate weight belt (which can easily be ditched).

I found that in cold water my Scout would turtle me if I put a substantial amount of weight in the built-in pockets. This is true of many other similar designs. The trick it to trim out the Scout with some weight in the top pockets, a small amount in the bottom pockets, and keep the majority of your weight on a separate weight belt (which can easily be ditched).

I didn't want the additional "clutter" of adding top pockets and I prefer not to use a weight belt.I assume you added these since my Scout only came with 2 rear dump pockets and 2 lower front pockets.
I don't remember if the older model Scout has top pockets or not.I saw Herman's last year but can't remember if it had top pockets or not.Maybe he'll post again and clarify.
Anyway thanks for the tip.

I didn't want the additional "clutter" of adding top pockets and I prefer not to use a weight belt.I assume you added these since my Scout only came with 2 rear dump pockets and 2 lower front pockets.
I don't remember if the older model Scout has top pockets or not.I saw Herman's last year but can't remember if it had top pockets or not.Maybe he'll post again and clarify.
Anyway thanks for the tip.

You are right - I am confused. I added trim pockets to the top cam band. The Scout only came with bottom rear dump pockets.

I want to get my own gear, and have found that the Zeagle Scout looks like a good match. What will I not like about this BC? .

The tank wobble, unless, of course, you don't mind the tank wobble.

The tank wobble, unless, of course, you don't mind the tank wobble.

I have never noticed any tank wobble. When properly adjusted my Scout sticks as tight to my back as does my BP&W.

Back
Top Bottom