DIR Logbook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTernovski

Contributor
Reaction score
What do you DIR folks use to log your dives? (actually, do you log your dives at all? just curious) I have my red PADI logbook that got wet, so it's time to replace it, and I want to get or make my own logbook, and looking for suggestions on this subject.

Anotyh question, how do you post that small image that appears under your name when you post a message here?

Thanks,
-Vadim

VTernovski once bubbled...

Anotyh question, how do you post that small image that appears under your name when you post a message here?

Thanks,
-Vadim

Go to User CP (blue button on the top row) then to options...Avatar is at the bottom...

Sean

VTernovski once bubbled...
What do you DIR folks use to log your dives? (actually, do you log your dives at all? just curious) I have my red PADI logbook that got wet, so it's time to replace it, and I want to get or make my own logbook, and looking for suggestions on this subject.

Thanks,
-Vadim

I let my Vyper log them for me. I haven't logged anything in a paper form since my last OW test dive.

Pretty much the same as Detroit. I note the location/dive site, weather, viz, starting and ending PSI... all in my wetnotes (for a vacation) or in memory for weekend outings with my buddy, then download the Vyper and fill in the blanks.

Bob3 once bubbled...
Don't forget that only BLACK logbooks are DIR approved.:wink:

Mine was red. That's why I can't use it:D

Anyway -

I do both. Dove a D3 for quite awhile. Just moved to the Vytec. But I still schlep around a dive log. It looks like a sun worn, sea sprayed full-on 80's Franklin planner. It's fat, over stuffed with notes, and it goes everywhere with me.

For me, the narrative is as important as the dive - what I saw, what the day was like, what I was feeling on the dive, who I was with, etc. I write a lot of stuff in my Wetnotes during a dive as well (mostly to communicate with the buddies.... just as BWERB! :snooze: ) and all of this stuff goes into my log.

Its a cross between scrapbooking (I'm such a chick that I even know that word...:eek: ) and a dive log.

On a recent trip, I was the ONLY one with a log. I was pretty blown away. Where I'm from, we're all pretty anal about logging stuff.

Its one of my most treasured pieces of dive gear. Its tracked every dive so far - from OW training, to DIR/F, to all the drills and practice, to the travel...it tracks everything. My SAC, my weighting, my experiments in gear config (pre DIR) and has tables, charts, dials, a calculator, a couple of pencils and even some printed PM's from Scubaboard. I never dive without it.

K

Bob3 once bubbled...
Don't forget that only BLACK logbooks are DIR approved.:wink:

do you need to have a second logbook bungied round your neck

ok, thanks for replies, but my question was more specific as to what type of logbook you use, rather than if you a logbook. Basically, I want to buy a logbook, and want to know what is a better buy in comparasing to PADI logbooks. If you didn't buy the logbook, did you make one yourself? If so, would you minding sharing what format, type of paper, etc, etc...

Once again, I am more interested in the actuall logbook, and not whether you care to log your dives or not.. Also, was interested in a DIr-specific ways of logging your dives... how does it different from, let's say PADI way of logging your dived. thanks!

-Vadim

I paid their extortion for the pages. I suck, but its what I got.

I know you don't want to hear this, but do a search, as there are a lot of very smart and very talented folks here that have mixed and matched and created their own "greatest hits" pages. After I'm done with my zillion dollar pages, I'm adopting one or more of the great designs the people here have offered.

K

PS: Log everything. Log your metrics (weight, gas in, gas out, gas used, mix, PO2, surface interval) and log what was going on in your head during the dive (weight too much, sinking like a stone, my mouthpiece sucks, trim fin straps, keep getting stuck on the kelp, etc.) There is no DIR way to log.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom