Hicky from dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaree

Reaction score
Just woundering if any one knows of a good way not to get a burn around the neck from my dry suit I have latex seals

Thanks

Scubaree:confused:

You might also try a little hair conditioner on the inside of the neck seal.

Upon surfacing roll right and vent all the air from the suit. Remove any air that can apply pressure to the neck seal on the surface swim.

Hallmac

If he's talking about what I have experienced, it's not a hicky, but more of a rash that looks like a laceration wound. I had this trouble with latex neck seals, but my problem was solved by going to neoprene. I may just have a mild sensitivity to latex.

That may be a cause for some. But pressure and small contact area is the main cause. It is like putting a rubber band on your wrist. You get the same mark.

Latex neck seals have a very small contact area to seal in air as compared to neoprene. All the force of the air attempting to escape increases the amount of pressure applied and increases the rubber band effect. Add to that the irritation of hair stubble and the effect is compounded.

To over simplify if the mark disappears after a short period it is a pressure mark if it lasts longer it may be a reaction to the latex.

Hallmac

Mine would scab too.
I cut a little bit back on the seal and made sure that it was a smooth cut rather then someone jagged. I also use ky jelly with it, and have only had very minor problems after doing this.

My office always knows when I've been diving...looks like someone tried to garrotte me!

Sunburn, razorburn, saltwater and tight latex are not a good combination.

Try some form of lubrication on your neck...it should help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom