Cold Water Dive ???s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yoda4x4

Contributor
Reaction score
My LDS is doing a dive with the Dina Dee off of the coast of NJ on 11/1. So far, I've been doing all my cold water dives wearing a 7mm wetsuit with or without a 5mm shorty (Water temp ~ 50s). I'd like your opinions if you'd think that diving on 11/1 with the current wetsuit combination would be warm enough. Besides having the opportunity to dive, I'd like to do it since I need 2 dives to get my Nitrox cert (already done the class and exams). So, what do you all think???

David

Well...It sounds like to much neoprene but then again, I dont how susceptable to the cold you are.

I have worn my 7mm Cressi in 40 degree water for hours at a time working on different projects and I'm just fine. If the air temp. is cold on top of the water temp. being cold then I wear a drysuit.

I also own a 7mm O'neill wetsuit that I can not wear in 48-50 degree water. It just sucks.

Different suits don't always insulate as good as others.

What type of suit do you own?

Here goes... I don't own a drysuit, which is why I'm asking the question. Both the 7mm and the 5mm shorty are ScubaPro S-Teks. As for the topside temp, being that it's going to be a 9am dive in November, I can only guess and say that it's not going to be warm. Probably around high 40s to low 50s.

Question is, should I just suck it up and do the 2 dives so that my Nitrox cert is complete or wait until next year? Like I said, I'd prefer to get it out of the way, but I don't want to freeze my bottom off doing it.

David

Well, I'm not there to see the quality of the suits. In normal circumstances that should be enough neoprene.

I would suck it up but that's a decision only you can make.

Good Luck if you do it.

havent been out in a few weeks but I hear the temps are still around 60ish? 7mm should be OK - the air temp may be a bit nippy - make sure you are warm enough between dives as to avoid being cold on the second. Wool caps are key for that!!!

Have fun!

I've been in far colder temps for long periods of times than the above with 7mm suits..... you can do it, but I guess it depends on your tolerance to cold, length of dive and brand of suit..... Do it wet this year, then save up over winter and buy yourself a drysuit!:)

SS

I did my AOW (and Nitrox) dives in a quarry not too far back.
Temps at the bottom were as low as about 50 degrees.
I was wearing an O'Neil 7000x full 7mm suit (not a farmer john, only 7mm at the core) with a 7mm hood, gloves etc. and was quite comfortable. Wearing a hood of course is critical as that's where you'll lose 75% of your body heat. One of the instructors was in a dry suit and complaining about the cold. I didn't understand that, unless he was wearing crappy underwear (no pun intended :))

I would go for it!

This is an extremely personal thing. I have noticed that different people have widely different tolerances to cold water. For my own part, below 50 degrees, it's got to be a drysuit and below 45 degrees, it's got to include an extra layer, a set of expedition weight thermals. That seems to do me somewhere into the 30s, which doesn't seem consistent but there you are.

The point is that for at least some part, you'll have to extrapolate from your own experiences. HIH doole

Holey S*** doole 40 degrees...I thought 48-50 was cold enough, nice one mate. Dry suit is all I have to say to OP, I wear Bare NexGen bag suit with CT200 undies and an extra layer of fleece to keep me toasty, just add lbs and your good to go. I couldn't imagine the thought of a wettie in 50deg waters let alone 40. I agree that everyone has a diff tolerance to cold and you have to make the call in the end.
sharky

I used to dive two 5mm (5+5=10) at Dutch springs (48F-55F), that was not cold at all... but pain the arss to get in/out of the wetsuits... i then swtichs to a double-peice 6.5mm, and was ok in 50F or so waters. it was mostly uncomfartble to do the 2nd dive when you have to put the cold wet wetsuit on again... brrr... I since switched to the Drysuit and will never go wet gain (at least not in NY area).

Anyway, I would suck up and do the dives... I think you shoudl be ok with yoru shorty on. I suggest you take a cooler and fill it with warm water, and soak your hood and gloves and maybe botties in it for a while... it does help! especially when you enter the water at first. It eliminates that first shock for your body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom