Work, Internships, Etc???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingMonkey

Reaction score

Hey, I'm Monica for anyone who hasn't looked over in the introduction section...
I'll have to preface this by apologizing if this is in the wrong section...I wasn't sure where to put it :/

I wanted to pose a question to everyone here...

I just got my open water cert in August, but in the past few years have already set my future goal on eventually owning my own dive shop, as well has running on or two catamarans and/or other boats for snorkel and dive trips.
I have plenty of experience being on the customer end of such a deal, but I'm really interested in finding summer work at a shop or working on a boat somewhere in Florida or really anywhere else there is an opportunity.
I've only got nine dives under my belt but I figure I've at least got something, plus I have plenty of ocean swimming experience as well as lifeguard certification and all that good stuff. It's not much, but it's something. I'm trying to find a way to work up to higher certification levels over the course of my work wherever that may be.

I have heard of programs that are designed for those interested in the tourism/hospitality area that gear their internships to college students like myself who would need room and board to go along with the job/internship. I don't know much about those types of things but if anyone has any information, please share. Room/board is not a limiting factor, however, so if you know of any opportunity at all that sounds like it could fit my description, PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I'd really love to be able to do this in the upcoming summer months, so I'm sure the earlier I can find something the better.

Hopefully one or two of you will know of something...if not, I'll keep on searching : )

Thanks a lot!

~Monica

DivingMonkey once bubbled...
the upcoming summer months

I think this part might be confusing people as it's kindof October. Are you looking for internships in the southern hemisphere?

Actually, that's always confused me. Is December in the middle of Summer in the Southern Hemisphere or is it just hot in Winter down there?

Anyway... my little sister worked in a gift shop at a Hilton or something in Key West one summer and stayed there for really, really cheap. That's all I know about that, though.

Why not ask your LDS???

A friend of mine ended up working, for very little - basically free, for a couple of months at one of our LDS's up here. It would give you a good idea of what you want to get into...

In the Caribbean, you may be required to obtain a work permit depending upon the requirements of the particular island. Since that can be costly and a bit of a paper work hassel, you may find it difficult to find something on those islands. Additionally, summer is traditionally off season in the Caribbean.

If you can committ to at least six months, then there are several options (not specifically geared toward college students) around Cayman to consider. Dive shops usually prefer to hire divers for retail positions.

Yea I was concerned about the off season thing, as well as the limited time that I can work. I've heard of people getting summer jobs similar to what I'm looking for, so I'm just trying to seek those out.
Retail is perfectly fine, I have experience in that anyway. I just want to get as much exposure to dive related things as possible, while being in a position to gain more bottom time over the course of the time I would be there. That's why somewhere like Florida would be ideal...nice water, places to dive...you get the idea

Back
Top Bottom