1st stage locked on tank valve (dumbest thing I've done in a while)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raoulsttexas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
MODS: This probably belongs in equipment, but I need help fast, so I'm shooting for a thread with high traffic. Please move as you see fit.

I can NOT believe I just did this:

I was getting ready to take my pony over to the lds to get filled and decided to check the pressure. My reg/spg is hanging in the garage drying from last night, so I grabbed a spare first stage with a button spg on it and turned the valve. 500psi...cool...just what i expected, and closed the valve.

at this moment I reach for the 2nd to purge....and....yup...it's my spare 1st. So, there's just several allen wrench slots staring back at me.....locked up tighter than a drum.

What on earth should I do? I assume even the LP plugs will become tiny rockets . I've honestly never tried to just unscrew the 1st from a valve prior to purging. Not sure if I would even be able to.

The valve is OFF. Pressure is holding. I need someone to say, "I have fixed this problem by doing _______ and it did not kill myself nor others".

I'm sure I could just wait it out and eventually it would purge (brand new o-ring and virtually brandnew 1st), but I really need to get this thing filled tonight....or I'll have to just rent one.

(yup...feel free to laugh at me on this one...I deserve it)

CAREFULLY unscrew one of the LP plugs. Point it away from you!. Once the O ring in the plug stops sealing it should lose pressure.

if you can't loosen the plugs (get a bigger cheater on the plugs), try the SPG hose at the first stage....

but only a little bit.....

it's yoke.

Bob,
There's no hose on the spg. It's a button style ON the first stage.

So, it's sounding like if I break the seal on a LP plug, I should get a very brief (albeit large) release. I'm leaning towards this plan. Also, it's a bit south of 500psi....better that 3000.

Any other suggestions / warnings before I attempt this?

Question: All I remember about unhooking a pressurized 1st stage is that it's loud as hell and usually damages the tank O-ring. Am I missing something? Why not put on some eye and ear protection, unscrew the first stage and just replace the blown O-ring? :idk:

just back out one of the LP plugs a small bit (from your first post, I thought the plugs were frozen). It will pi** down. Check the o-ring on the plug afterwards.

Sorry, bud! :hugs: You're not the first, and won't be the last.

First, are you in a really big hurry? After a couple of days, the pressure will probably bleed off.

However, to release what is there . . . back off one of the plugs, being careful not to bend or break your tool.

As the plug backs out (and the o-ring on the plug backs out), the o-ring will suddenly blow. Pieces of o-ring could fly, so be aware. Maybe wrap a towel around the tool? Once the o-ring goes, just let it bleed off pressure. Do not back the plug too fast or it could become a bullet.

If the one you try is too tight, try another. Hopefully Godzilla did not put your plugs in. Good luck!

it's yoke.

Bob,
There's no hose on the spg. It's a button style ON the first stage.

So, it's sounding like if I break the seal on a LP plug, I should get a very brief (albeit large) release. I'm leaning towards this plan. Also, it's a bit south of 500psi....better that 3000.

Any other suggestions / warnings before I attempt this?

Back
Top Bottom