Logging a Computer Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrv331

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hoping you guys can help me out. I bought a Zoop computer and am trying to learn its functions. I have read the manual a few times and taken the on line video course(full version)and cant find an answer to my question. After my dive and and its time to fill in my logbook do I use my max depth or avg depth for my profile?
Thanks
John

Its your logbook. Put whatever you want in there...

When logging a "computer" dive, I tend to list both my maximum and average depths. If I have conducted said dive as a planned multi-level dive, or done decompression stops on the way up, I tend to list those levels/times or stops/times.

Sorry, I didnt word my question right. After my dive I want to fill out my log book so I know what pressure group Im currently in and how much SI time I need before my second dive. Im assuming I use my average depth, if not it would be a square profile, but I dont want to assume anything when it come to this.
Thanks

Pressure groups and dive computers really do not mix well from what I have found. Yes you could use average depth, but it would not be as accurate as using the Plan Mode on the Zoop.
The Zoop's plan mode will tell you based on your current surface interval how long you could stay at ____ feet.

I know the computer will tell me how long I can stay down on the second dive but Im wondering how to fill out my logbook. After your guys first dive what depth do yo put in your log books to know what pressure group you are currently in?
Thanks
John

Quite often (but not always) divers using dive computers just log their dives electronically.
IF they need to print them out ... then they just print them on the spot.

Since you took our online class for the Zoop, you have already access to the full version of divePAL Windows; you can use it to plan a series of dives (up to 3) and then save it online (either private or public) - and retrieve it any time you want to look at it.

divepal_zoop_20111014.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I always just log my max depth for the dive, forget the pressure group, let the computer adjust for whatever surface interval and plan for repetitive dives. But I don't do any tech diving, hardly ever push the limits, and my computer doesn't show an average depth, so... My log book for me is much more about where I was, what I saw, personal performance issues, general observations about the boat, conditions, buddies, whatever.

I log maximum and minimum depths! Seriously lets not discuss pressure groups in the same sentence as dive computers. WHY?

That Dive computer is doing what you can not. It is calculating the NDL constantly based on you current depth, and reporting that back to you the diver. It is doing what you can not, and keeping you safe while maximizing your BT. This is especially useful on a multilevel profile which most dives are. If you are doing a flat profile it is less useful, but I trust the puter over my flawed memory. I carry a backup computer. If they both fail.... well that has never happened. I do know my NDL at max depth.

So dive a computer, or dive tables but not both. If you decide on tables get ready to sit in the boat while everyone else is diving. The diving world uses computers not tables.

Ron,
Thanks that cleared it up. I was trying how to figure out how to get my PADI logbook dive profile to match my computer profile. I was wondering what info I needed before a dive master would sign my logbook.
John

I know the computer will tell me how long I can stay down on the second dive but Im wondering how to fill out my logbook. After your guys first dive what depth do yo put in your log books to know what pressure group you are currently in?
Thanks
John

If I am using a computer to "plan" a repetitive dive, pressure groups from paper tables or my PADI ERDPML mean nothing to me... I do not put pressure groups in my logbook after such dives. I feel like you are talking apples and oranges here. If you still want a pressure group to log/document after a dive, the only way you are likely to get it is to keep track of your profile during the dive and enter the profile into your tables or multi-level dive planner. That would produce an approximate pressure group to record into your logbook.

You could also download your profile after your dive and plug that info into one of the dive planners such as GUE decoplanner or V-Planner. They would allow you a much better assessment of the amount of residual inert gas in your system after a dive as it relates to planning your next dive than paper tables, yet no alphabetical representation of a pressure group that I am aware of.

The only time I see this being useful would be if your computer died between dives. It would obviously grant you the ability to quit "computer" diving at any time, and start using your tables or surface-based electronic dive planner. Again though, it is your logbook, and your choice.

I would venture to guess that if you enter your dive profile into your tables, and then calculate your NDL for your next dive for a given surface interval, your computer should allow you more NDL time unless you have your computer set to a highly conservative setting and/or a very liberal set of paper tables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom