Balance problem with Zeagle Ranger and sticking inflator button

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've bought used Zeagle Ranger and used it in a couple of dives. What I've noticed is that I'm having balance problems while finning. As I fin my body rotates to the left and then gets back in the normal position, synchronous with my leg movement. It seems as if I have to 'trim' myself by keeping my body slightly rotated to the right to compensate. I couldn't figure out what is the cause of the problem. When I look at the inflated BC standing on the floor from birds-eye view it seems as if the right side of the wing bladder is slightly more up than the left(more up when a BC is in a horizontal position, as if you were wearing it while diving). I never had a similar problem when I used a wing BC. My instructor also bought a wing BC and says he has a similar problem and it's only a matter of getting adapted, but in my case I think it's not the problem.

What I also noticed on a check before the last dive is that inflator button sometimes doesn't get back all the way back to normal position after I press it(especially when it's dry), so I have to manually pull it to normal position after each press to make sure it doesn't get stuck in inflating position what happened on a pre-dive check. Instructor said it should be an easy thing to fix, but it would be great if I had some sort of manual for disassembly of this particular inflator.

Thanks in advance.

Zeagle system is adjustable so make sure the shoulder straps, cummerbund, and wing straps are the same for each side. Service the inflator/deflator and other dumps. I would also flush out the bladder while everything is apart. Your weighting might also create some roll if not equal.

I've bought used Zeagle Ranger and used it in a couple of dives. What I've noticed is that I'm having balance problems while finning. As I fin my body rotates to the left and then gets back in the normal position, synchronous with my leg movement. It seems as if I have to 'trim' myself by keeping my body slightly rotated to the right to compensate.
While the partially stuck inflator may be an issue (and should be disassembled and cleaned / repaired), I suspect other causes.

1. Does your finning technique cause a body rotation that allows air in the wing to move to the highest point and further exaccerbate an imbalance caused by the finning? You need someone to watch you underwater while finning. If you are using a flutter kick, this is more likely than if you are using a frog kick. One leg may be stronger than the other.
2. The Ranger is a great BCD (I have one), but it is 44 lbs of lift, way more than you need for single tank (AL OR steel) diving, even in a thin wetsuit. The extra bladder space offers the air bubble A LOT of room in which to move around.
3. A very likely source of part of the problem is your weighting: more weight - more air needed in the BCD to compensate - more chance that the air bubble will move.
DiveGusto:
Zeagle system is adjustable so make sure the shoulder straps, cummerbund, and wing straps are the same for each side. . . . Your weighting might also create some roll if not equal.
Ditto.

Just a few comments:
  1. Make sure that your ballast is distributed symmetrically (left-right) and that the BCD is adjusted properly. A BCD that isn't cinched down properly will make the tank feel sloppy on your back. If the tank isn't secured to your back tightly, an asymmetric action (such as the motion of one leg in a flutter kick) will cause the tank to move around making you feel "unbalanced."
  2. Be properly weighted. If you are over-weighted, you will need to keep more gas inside the BCD bladder during the dive. Keeping an unnecessary amount of gas in your BCD could lead to bubble instability (shifting of the bubble as you kick) and will create more drag as you move through the water. It might also make it more difficult to achieve proper horizontal trim. Do a proper weight check to determine the appropriate amount of ballast, then position the weight so that it promotes horizontal trim. This will permit you to move more efficiently/comfortably through the water.
  3. Try a symmetrical kicking motion. My favorite is the frog kick (or modified frog kick), since it less likely to disturb silt below (vs. a regular flutter kick). You can also insert a longer-than-normal pause after the glide phase to verify that you are really neutrally buoyant.
  4. If you discover a stuck power inflater button during a pre-dive check, you need to fix the issue before proceeding with the dive. Period. The "fix" might entail repairing/rebuilding the power inflater assembly on-the-spot (sometimes replacing the right o-ring might do the trick), replacing the power inflater completely with a spare, or using a different BCD. It's a safety issue. Don't ignore it. By diving with a power inflater button that has a tendency to stick, you run the risk of experiencing an uncontrolled ascent. FYI, as you already know, if the power inflater button sticks "on" during the dive, the proper response is to disconnect the LP inflater hose from the power inflater assembly.

First of all thank you everyone for the advices.

If you discover a stuck power inflater button during a pre-dive check, you need to fix the issue before proceeding with the dive. Period. The "fix" might entail repairing/rebuilding the power inflater assembly on-the-spot (sometimes replacing the right o-ring might do the trick), replacing the power inflater completely with a spare, or using a different BCD. It's a safety issue. Don't ignore it. By diving with a power inflater button that has a tendency to stick, you run the risk of experiencing an uncontrolled ascent. FYI, as you already know, if the power inflater button sticks "on" during the dive, the proper response is to disconnect the LP inflater hose from the power inflater assembly.

I proceeded with a dive because we were doing shallow water dives(15m max) with a purpose of practicing navigation in muddy water, and I was always ready to disconnect the inflater hose, so there wasn't any big risk there.

3. A very likely source of part of the problem is your weighting: more weight - more air needed in the BCD to compensate - more chance that the air bubble will move.

The weighting I use is far from overweight, I was actually thinking about adding a bit more weight. I chose the weight by testing it in the pool using the full inhale,water at the eye level method.

Make sure that your ballast is distributed symmetrically (left-right) and that the BCD is adjusted properly. A BCD that isn't cinched down properly will make the tank feel sloppy on your back. If the tank isn't secured to your back tightly, an asymmetric action (such as the motion of one leg in a flutter kick) will cause the tank to move around making you feel "unbalanced."

When I reach back for the tank, it pretty easily moves left and right.

The first thing I'll do is check how the straps are set. I feel like it's not that the fin movement causes the imbalance but rather the 'trim' from the BC causes me to not do equally with both legs. I never had an issue with the jacket BC I used before, fin movement was always symmetrical and I never heard any complaint about it from the instructors. And yeah, to make it clear, I use flutter kick most often.

And diversteve, thanks for the link, it will be useful.

I had a similar problem. Make sure that your inflator hose is long enough that it doesn't bind the wing. When the hose is pulled too tightly over the shoulder, air can't transfer from one side of the wing to the other. I moved the tank higher in the straps and did 15 dive in Cancun with the regulator up against my head to compensate. I've since switched the hose from a 26" to a 32". Problem solved.

The bladder is 1/3 bigger again than the outer bag

Make sure the bladder is not folded and twisted
or full of rock salt, warm water flush is very gooood

If you have all the right pieces correctly adjusted

With one of these

a more stable platform will be difficult to find

The bladder is 1/3 bigger again than the outer bag

Make sure the bladder is not folded and twisted
or full of rock salt, warm water flush is very gooood

If you have all the right pieces correctly adjusted

With one of these

a more stable platform will be difficult to find

I'd sure like to see a couple of more pictures of your rig. I've been struggling with the placement of an 8" Wenoka knife and other safety equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom