TDI course requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craig chamberlain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi
I have some questions about what is taught in the TDI courses. thank you for your answers and time

1) in which course is it required that you learn about doubles (e.g, adv nitrox, deco procedures, extended range etc..)
2) in which course do you learn about dive planning software?
3) in which course do you learn about labeling tanks?
4) do you learn doubles shutdowns in any course as a requirement?
5) does the manual for the course that requires doubles explain about bp/w's and dobles etc...?

thankyou for your time i would really appreciate it if you could answer my questions.

thanks very much

My TDI experience started with a class called Intro to Doubles, and I was in doubles from then on. You will learn most of what you describe in your very first classes, especially when you take Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures.

One variable is the dive planning software, which is not required and which is up to the instructor. We used it in the AN/DP classes.

It is hard to know exactly what you will find, because instructors are different. TDI has minimum standards that must be met, but it allows the instructor a lot of leeway in going beyond them. In the case of my earliest classes, my instructor was also GUE/DIR trained, and what we took was very much DIR in approach and was modeled more on the GUE standards than the TDI standards. I did my trimix and advanced trimix classes with a diferent instructor who didn't care a thing about DIR, and he stayed much closer to the normal TDI standards.

Doppler will be along soon to give you the definitive answers, but from my recollection:

1) in which course is it required that you learn about doubles (e.g, adv nitrox, deco procedures, extended range etc..)
All of them - including Intro to Tech.

2) in which course do you learn about dive planning software?
I think it varies by instructor - I was never taught dive planning software. I went as high as ER on tables only.

3) in which course do you learn about labeling tanks?
Before I started - in my "regular" nitrox course. That knowledge was assumed when I started.

4) do you learn doubles shutdowns in any course as a requirement?
Yes. For both DP and ER.

5) does the manual for the course that requires doubles explain about bp/w's and dobles etc...?
I don't think so. Although the manuals do talk about gear in the abstract, I can't recall any specific drill down on BP/W setups or double rigs generally.

I did 'Intro to Doubles' and Advanced Nitrox in doubles. Both courses included shut-downs. AN included tank labelling (although this is a basic nitrox skill).
Dives were done on tables, no software was used. AN didn't have much/any information about kit configuration - however a great deal of knowledge was given by the instructor verbally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom