first time diving in the keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cb750

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,

I'm a New Englander getting ready for my first carribbean dive. Im going down to Key largo Feb8th for a long weekend. Ive got some general questions...

wetsuit-

So I have a 7mm waterproof wetsuit with a 5/7mm hood.. is this way overkill? I'm a skinny kid so I do get cold fast. Maybe get a thinner hood?

Gloves-

I've got 5mm..get some gardening gloves? no gloves?

Boots-
I've got 7mm...get some 3mm socks?

logistics-

should I book my charters now or when I get there? I'm staying at the holiday inn so I was thinking i'd just walk the wharf and there would be a number of boats to choose from?

no fly time- will be going 60 feet max over 2 days, and have about 18hrs before flying, thats cool right?

thanks!!

Rainbow reef, a good dive operation is just on the other side of the channel. It doesn't hurt to make reservations. The will put a dive guide in the water with your group for no additional charge. They know where all the critters hide.

They will put you on their shallow boat unless you are at least AOW qualified. This goes for all of the Keys operators. This is no big deal, plenty to see. The water temp will typically be in very low 70's. I usually dive a 3/2 shortie, my oldest son uses just a diveskin. The youngest son dives a 5mm. Just depends on your tolerence for cold. You can rent a 3mm full suit from any operator.

I see very few hoods and gloves on shallow reef dives. I use the same boots and fins that I use for cold water diving.

I try to make morning and afternoon trips when I hit the Keys. If I was only going to do one, I would choose morning because it is generally calmer.have fun.

Last edited:
3-5 mills depending on water temps and you comfort zone

I'm a big baby and have been wearing a 7 mil in Jupiter since December 1st. Jupiter waters are slightly cooler than Key Largo but not much. I've also been using a beanie, 3 mil boots and tropical weight gloves. I've been comfortable on multiple dives. In the past I've used a 2mm shorty under a 3mm full wet suit along with a light hood, boots and tropical gloves and have been fairy comfortable while diving in the winter in the Keys.

Hey cb750,

You should be fine with your attire. Here's my REAL-TIME Dive Calendar with conditions for Feb 2011. It showed temps in the lower 70's.

There are a lot of operators on the docks at Holiday Inn in Key Largo. Here's the links to a few of their REAL-TIME Dive Calendars so you can see what they have scheduled during your visit and/or even book with them online. Sometimes shops offer discounts if you book online ahead of time.

Horizon Divers
Key Largo Dive Center

As for your diving, the standard rule of thumb is 24 hours if you're doing any diving that requires a deco stop. DAN published in an article DAN Flying After Diving, and I quote:
For a single no-decompression dive, a minimum preflight surface interval of 12 hours is suggested. For dives requiring decompression stops, there is little evidence on which to base a recommendation and a preflight surface interval substantially longer than 18 hours appears prudent.

Bottom line, yes I think 18 hours would be good if you are not planning any deco dives.

Hope you have a great dive trip and if I can help answer any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.....even if you dive with someone else.

Good Diving,

I also will be diving in the Keys next week and am trying to figure out what to bring. I pulled the surface temps from NOAA on 01/05/2012 13:48 UTC and they were 65.1 degrees. I just pulled them again this morning and they are 72.1 degrees at 01/10/2012 13:24 UTC.

So what's the real story of what we will be getting? At 65 degrees I'm going with a 5mm, at 72 degrees I would dive a 3mm. Not sure what to bring.

This Saturday I dove an inshore reef(Hens and Chickens) my boat gps said 67.3 and my dive computer said 71.
It was COLD!!! That being said it looks like the temp at Molasses is 76 per noaa this am

67 or 65, I'm in for a 5mm, 72 a 3mm. At this point I'm not sure what to bring. Anyone with a dip this week please chime in with the conditions.

We are slated to dive the Vandeberge Wednesday next week, also don't know if the temp there runs warmer or cooler there compared to what's reported from NOAA.

67 or 65, I'm in for a 5mm, 72 a 3mm. At this point I'm not sure what to bring. Anyone with a dip this week please chime in with the conditions.

We are slated to dive the Vandeberge Wednesday next week, also don't know if the temp there runs warmer or cooler there compared to what's reported from NOAA.

Hopefully I will be diving Thursday and will post temps/pix if possible

just talked to a snorkel boat captain out @ key largo white banks, water temp 74F and lots of small portuguese man o war,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom