Favorite dry mouth candy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rudyh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I had a recent post about really bad dry mouth and throat problems,thanks for the help dead on. So my question is if you use some type of candy what has been successful for you.

Jolly Ranchers

Werthers

I do not think sucking on sugar containing candy for long periods time is a good idea. I had very good results with sugarless menthol cough drops... works better than any candy.

Never heard of sucking on sugar candy to get rid of dry mouth. Sounds like something to try. I've heard of people removing the reg and swishing sea water into their mouths to get rid of dry mouth. Not sure it'll help with dry throat, though.

I 2nd Jax's Jolly Ranch vote. I forgot to pick some up a few years ago going to Coz and down there all I could find was some local hard candy thing that had rasins in the middle. Horrible!!! Don't forget to get them before leaving the states if your traveling that direction.

Breathe through your nose. If going underwater gargle with Oasis mouth wash before diving (Wallys).

You can by a product called "slippery elm," which has no sugar and works well. Also try "Fisherman's Friend" lozenges. My favorite, butter rum lifesavers. And, of course, after the last dive of the day, beer.
DivemasterDennis

Never heard of sucking on sugar candy to get rid of dry mouth. Sounds like something to try. I've heard of people removing the reg and swishing sea water into their mouths to get rid of dry mouth. Not sure it'll help with dry throat, though.
Yup - I'm in the "removing the reg and swishing sea water into their mouths" clan - but I like the idea of having a small piece of candy. Anyone ever choked doing this??

Not sure if you're proposing sucking candy while diving, but I would not take the chance of aspiration risk. It's trading a small problem of dry mouth in a risk of a big one, the opposite of the principle of insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom