Getting in shape for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FPDocMatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I weigh 158#, with a height of 5-9. I'm able to run 3 miles at an easy pace. But whenever I'm weighted down by a tank, BCD and weights, and have to walk any distance at all, I tire very quickly. If I have to walk up an incline, or fight even small waves while entering for a shore dive, I'm just about done before I even get below the surface!

And I don't think it's safe to dive while exhausted.

So for now I'm going to stick to boat dives, and do some conditioning exercises. Especially for my legs. Someone suggested doing squats with buckets of sand. I don't have any buckets of sand handy, but was thinking about getting a backpack and putting books in it.

I wonder, is it common to be able to do aerobic activity unweighted, but get totally exhausted with a short period of activity with weights? Frankly, it's downright embarrassing to be so wiped out when the other divers are lugging all that stuff up and down the beach without difficulty.

Running at an easy pace is very subjective. I have seen old men "running" at a pace I would barely walk at. Sounds like you may want to hit the gym, or put on your weight belt, load it up and go for a brisk walk. I'd try squats at the gym were it me.

Well, cardiovascular fitness and strength are two different things. I think even someone who is superbly conditions as a runner or swimmer is going to struggle when asked to handle heavy weights -- muscles which are unused to the work are being asked for something which approaches or exceeds their capacity. Walking in gear involves slow work of large muscles, as well as a lot of core strength to stabilize yourself on entries and exits.

The good news is that a great way to get fit for hauling dive gear is . . . hauling dive gear! I couldn't get out of the pool with an Al63 on my back when I did my OW class, and I remember taking all my gear to the seawall in pieces when I was first diving. Today, I can do the same walks wearing doubles. But there's no question that I could be fitter and stronger still.

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum here. I weigh 240# with a height of 6'1" and I am in what most would consider fit shape. I have absolutely no trouble hauling gear weighing as much as me or heavier up and down stairs and over rough ground but I have trouble running anything over a mile.

TSandM is right about conditioning and that you just need to get your body used to strength related exercises. It will not happen overnight but it will happen with practice. The best way in my opinion to build the strength needed would be to move over rough ground or stairs with your BC or a backpack weighed down to just over your normal gear weight.

I join with those who suggest moderate wight training. I would also suggest walking on a tread mill at an incline of perhaps 4 to 6 degrees. In this confessional I will report that I am 5'10" and 205. I spend time in the gym twice a week and am hung up on wight lifting. I also would weigh 300 if I stopped going to the gym. I am not a runner, but I can walk a long way with a full scuba tank in each hand and a pack full of gear on my back. My wife, who is my age, is only 5'5 and of average size, but climbs aboard pitching boats in full scuba gear without difficulty. She does not weight train, but she swims regularly. I am sure lifting laundry baskets and big files here in the office help with upper body strength for her too. Some upper body work, like swimming and moderate weight training, will be of value to you. Just don't over do it. Not too much too fast.
DivemasterDennis

Matt...you cannot change life style and physiology overnight, especially after so many years. There is fitness, strength and endurance. If you like being outside, attempt to walk the same distance with a backpack that you can load lightly to start with and then adding more weight as you go along. That will assit you in getting to your diving spot with your gear. Then every second day, work on your cardio...which will eventually be beneficial to you when you want to cover some distances either on the surface or underwater.

also don't over do it and shove like 50lbs of weight in a bag and go for a long walk either. That can lead to a lot of lower back issues if your body is not ready for it. Myself I usually cycle to univeristy every day even though its just a short hop (about 10-15min bike) I usually have 20lbs of books in my back pack and I'm also staying in high gear but not for the cardio but for working my leg muscles. When i started this oh my god my legs wanted to take me out and get me shot or run over. now it doesn't even bother me. The biggest thing is don't over do it or you won't be doing much for a while to come.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom