Working in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greenblayza

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently posted a thread about looking for a DMT program in Indonesia - preferably in exchange for work. I've emailed numerous outfitters and a lot of them email me back saying it's illegal to exchange work for training unless you have a work visa - which is more expensive than a program.

Is this true or are they trying to get the money instead of the labor?

**I'd like to know so I can focus on other areas that allow this sort of exchange**

If you are under current training as Dive Master and not 'working' for the dive centre, ie; not pushing a broom when you are supposed to be learning how to be a DM and behave around divers, then the immigration department shouldn't have a problem, although I'm sure someone will be along soon with a different story!

A good dive centre will not use you to do manual labour as that wouldn't be part of learning how to be a dive master. They would have staff to carry tanks and load boats etc, so although you would become a part-time member of the team, you would not/should not be seen to do anything that isn't necessary training.

For what you are suggesting, I believe they are correct. I was in Bali last year and from what I saw the shops use very few Staff that are there on Kitas (work visas) as they do generally cost about $3000 US. The majority of the instructors I ran into were working freelance. The only people I saw that were getting to work in exchange for their DM training (as you mentioned) were locals to Indonesia.

As Dive Wench says as a true DMT you can come in on a tourist visa to learn but most places would be wary of the trade of free DMT for free labour as they would get a large fine from Immigration. I work in Indonesia and am glad that I have a KITAS (work permit) as I would not want to work here without one.

working in indonesia is only allowed with a working visa. there are dive centers who offers in indonesia the dm ship for free in exchange for work. there are a lot of things to say about that:
1) if dive centers give away something to free they have to cut somewhere, i dont say that these divecenters are breaking requirments or giving you a bad course but for sure the instructors should be paid, who are teaching u. If they a not get paid for teaching u will they motivated enough to make u a good divemaster. would this instructor put a lot of time in it...?
2) If you pay for a course you knows where you are paying for, what should you have to do or not when you getting the course for free. you dont know exactly... the course standards are easy. in the instructor manual you can read what you should do and what pyou expect what the course should like.
2)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom