Cold water to warm!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ozwald

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay...so I am looking for some feedback just to see what "those in the know" think.

I am from Manitoba, Canada and dive primarily water that once past the thermocline dips to the sub 40F mark. Here's the problem. I also head down to Florida, The Keys area to dive and am heading down to High Springs in a few weeks to further my cave experience. Up here I am diving dry all the time with liners and gloves as well as thermal protection under my drysuit. I wear a Diverite Transplate with a Buttplate. I use big clips that are easy to manage with thick gloves and large solid bent d-rings and hammer hanger style rings on my hips for ease of access.

So I'm thinking should dive my setup down in Fla or perhaps use my minimalistic Halcyon BP/harness to avoid ? I was thinking it would be best to use the rig that I am most comfortable with which is the Diverite setup.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
As long as you have no obvious entanglement hazards, I say dive what you're comfortable with (minus the dry gloves, you'll melt).

Greetings Ozwald I echo sskasser comments and would rather see you in your dry suit and comfortable gear.
Your instructor will help to clean you up and tailor your gear for the cave environment.
I dive dry in FL all of my vacations spring water is 72º and @ 60 min. or more you will still become cool.
Just use a light set of wicking undergarments and beware the overheating hazard.
I try to carry ALL my gear before slipping into the dry suit and if I need to get into the spring to cool off pre-gear.
DRINK CRAZY AMOUNTS OF WATER YOU ARE GOING TO SWEAT! JUST A SIMPLE FACT.
Dive wet or dry matters not!

Have a great trip and train safe!
CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training..;..Keep Learning!

I dive N. Central Florida, waters regularly & year round.... I'm fine w/a 5mm full wet suit, sometimes even a little warm [unzip the back when that happens]....Never wear a hood.......I use 'mechanic's' gloves from Home Depot for all my diving....They're less expensive, last longer, easier to put on, fit better and because they're thinner it's easier to 'work' equipment ie. lights, snaps, buckles, valves etc......I can also tie/untie knots w/them........Keep your bp/w set-up rather than go thru the trouble of changing things around, and if you have a 5mm full suit bring it and get thinner gloves....You'll be more comfortable and streamlined.......

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom