Wing Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zaixon

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi all, I am fairly new to tech diving. Trying to come up with a new setup where I can switch between singles and doubles fairly easily. I dive single steel 100s and was thinking of banding together some AL 80s I have sittin around. now I was hoping to find a wing that will accommodate both so I dont have to keep changing it out everytime and not spend a ton. I came across this online Hollis X37 Wing discounts on sale Hollis and was wondering if I can dive both singles and doubles with it or if anyone has any other recommendations
thanks!

Not sure about that one, but I've seen a few guys use a Dive Rite Rec wing in a few different variations with singles and doubles. Even a handful people using a freakin 94lb OMS wing with 200' or so of bungee cord wrapped around it 100 times diving single AL80s so yeah, it can definitely be done.

Ideal? Not so much in my opinion. By the time you take off your STA the extra time to swap wings is basically none anyway. If you're going to go into technical diving the cost of a doubles wing is chump change.

Get two wings dedicated for each setup. Those "do it all" wings do neither very well, and using a single tank wing on doubles can bend your plate, and using a doubles wing with singles will result in an extreme taco effect and difficulty venting.

Tech diving ain't cheap.

Read PfcAJ's last sentence carefully and repeatedly!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Get two wings dedicated for each setup. Those "do it all" wings do neither very well, and using a single tank wing on doubles can bend your plate, and using a doubles wing with singles will result in an extreme taco effect and difficulty venting.

Tech diving ain't cheap.

not sure I understand, how can your plate get bent?

I dive a Halcyon BP/W. When diving singles, I have the single tank adapter and a 30lb wing. When diving doubles I use a 60lb wing (steel tanks), and attach them directly to the back plate. However, I am using the same back plate in both configurations.

The switchover, is not that much trouble, since in either going to or going from doubles, I have to remove the nuts that hold the wing anyway, so it is just a matter of swapping the wing.

Read what he wrote again, nimoh....single tank wing + doubles can be an issue b/c of the way some single wings are shaped.

thanks all, yea i know it aint cheap... finding that one out very fast lol. I just see so many wings out there that say for use with singles or doubles its a bit confusing. I thought it may have to do with what kind of tanks were being used for doubles.

Theres lots of gimmicks and nonsense in diving, and probably even more in tech diving. Beware.

I also didn't get the "bend your plate" part. Sure it won't work too well because the single wing will be totally sandiwch between the double tank and hte plate, hardly can be inflated or provide any lift. But I will get the OPV will give up first before the plate will be bended.

But yeah, tech isn't cheap. Cost of wing is so insignicant in the big scheme. It totally doesn't make sense to skim on a good wing.

Read what he wrote again, nimoh....single tank wing + doubles can be an issue b/c of the way some single wings are shaped.

I think I got what he said, and although I don't use my 60lb wing with a single tank, I don't understand how the plate could be bent if I did.

I am not trying to be purposely obtuse, and I am probably missing something, but at this point I don't know what that is :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom