Equalizing Pain when Snokeling but not Scuba Diving + new beuchat snorkeling fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,

When snorkelling and diving a few meters under water I have huge problems equalizing my ears. When I just go down 1-2 meters it starts hurting, even if I am trying to equalize,

When I scuba diving I have not problems at all to equalize me ears.

Any thoughts on this?

+

I am thinking of buying Beuchat Mundial Sport. Fins Free diving, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, dive today to have for snorkelling. I am going to practice free diving and that's why I would prefer longer fins.

/ Filip

Yes it is much easier to equalize with scuba gear on since you have a supply of air at ambient pressure. (I was quite surprised by this fact when I started scuba diving) Meaning that your entire respiratory tract (lungs, mouth, nasal cavity) is at ambient pressure and you can easily establish flow into your middle ear through the Eustachian tube. When you are free diving the volume in your respiratory system decreases with depth and the tissues protecting your respiratory system (i. e. your rib cage) may resist compression hence air in your respiratory system is now below ambient, this makes it more difficult to push air through the Eustachian tube into the middle ear.

two things you need to control during free diving

1. control rate of ascent and descent
2. EQUALIZE ALL THE WAY. On your way UP AND DOWN

i use supplementary weights when i free dive. it helps on the descent and dampens the ascent.

Yes it is much easier to equalize with scuba gear on since you have a supply of air at ambient pressure. (I was quite surprised by this fact when I started scuba diving) Meaning that your entire respiratory tract (lungs, mouth, nasal cavity) is at ambient pressure and you can easily establish flow into your middle ear through the Eustachian tube. When you are free diving the volume in your respiratory system decreases with depth and the tissues protecting your respiratory system (i. e. your rib cage) may resist compression hence air in your respiratory system is now below ambient, this makes it more difficult to push air through the Eustachian tube into the middle ear.

Once you get air from your lungs into your mouth while descending, the air is at ambient pressure. Same as you equalize pressure in your mask as you descend.
It's physically the same equalizing free diving or scuba diving as far as pressure in your eustachian tubes. This of course takes more volume from your lungs as you descend further.
But generally you descend much faster free diving, in most cases so you can spend more time on the bottom.

Are you waiting to equalize ? Equalizing can be difficult if you wait until you feel the squeeze. Try 'getting ahead' of your equalizing by starting as soon as you start down.

Are you waiting to equalize ? Equalizing can be difficult if you wait until you feel the squeeze. Try 'getting ahead' of your equalizing by starting as soon as you start down.

What Glenn08 said. If you take a free diving course, they teach you to equalize, or pinch and blow to pop your eardrums out before you begin to descend.

As soon as you start to dive, pinch your nose and with your teeth slightly apart, look down, stretching your Eustachian tubes. Then apply pressure to your throat from your lungs and wiggle your jaw from side to side. This might work. If not try swallowing while applying pressure or yawning. I sometimes have to do all three under pressure, jaw wiggling, swallowing and yawning.

Learn the frenzel technique, equalize on the surface before your dive, and every few feet after. If you live in California or Hawaii I teach freediving courses and show you how to do frenzel as well as other equalization techniques and will get try and get you diving 66ft. and hold your breath for atleast 3 min. in my course. Here is a link to my website Hawaii Freediving Instructors, freediving courses ---- If there are no courses in your location I will either plan a course where you live or forward you to another FII instructor. Pm me for more info
Aloha,
Dan

---------- Post Merged at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:05 PM ----------

By the way Beuchat fins are a great choice. I love mine very long lasting.

I have difficulty equalizing when I'm head-down. It's not usually an issue when I scuba dive because I descend in a horizontal, slightly head-up orientation. But that's not very practical for free diving.

I thinks if not try swallowing while applying pressure or yawning. I sometimes have to do all three under pressure, jaw wiggling, swallowing and yawning.

---------- Post Merged at 04:36 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:36 AM ----------

I thinks if not try swallowing while applying pressure or yawning. I sometimes have to do all three under pressure, jaw wiggling, swallowing and yawning.

Back
Top Bottom