Recommendation for dive operator in Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sinbadscuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A friend of mine is looking for a good, reputable dive operator on the south east side of Bali. She will be staying in or near Pendang Bai. She has not dived since being certified in 2005. I will do her scuba tune up. She needs a dive shop that will take good care of novices. Please email me your recommendations to jeff@sinbadscuba.com
Thanks

Email sent

I'm also interested in the LDS recommendations ... Will be in Bali for two weeks in October. Want to start diving in and around Padang Bai (3-4 days), later head to Amed and Tulamben for another 2-3 days and then to close off my diving on Nusa Penida/Lembogan sites. Don't mind to try different diving shops those areas and spread the business. I will arrive in Bali from Koh Tao after diving there for two weeks:wink:)) TIA

My personal recommandations :
- in Tulamben : Liberty Dive centre, if you're into macro/muck they really know the places where to look for. Ask for Uji as a dive guide, skip Amed if you're there only for 2 days.
- in Lembongan : either Two Fish divers or World diving, both excellent and located in the same area (Jungut Batu mid/north), they have nice bungalows too... But be warned that Nusa Penida deserves more than 2 days!

Hi,

As for any location - and specialy around Bali where some are thinking much more about quick $$$ than good & safe service - my personal recommendation would be to get some primary contacts thru SB or any other internet source and once arrived in location spend a few hours in previously selected dive shops just to get a general feeling of the operation :

- talk with the guides ;
- talk with guests coming back from the dive ;
- see how the shop is organized in general & look closely at the equipment : even when bringing your own, the equipment condition & equipment room cleanliness tells A LOT about how an op is doing its job ...

You will have to spend a few hours to do so but it's the best way to select a proper dive op instead of just an A to B boat travel agent ...

Who will you dive with in Koh Tao? Best guys there are Planet Scuba or Sairee Dive Cottage.
The reply above takes you to Bali Bubbles. Looks good. check it out.

email also sent....

Thanks guys, will take it into consideration:wink:

---------- Post Merged at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:17 PM ----------

My personal recommandations :
- But be warned that Nusa Penida deserves more than 2 days!

Will consider it in my plans. Thanks Luko:wink:

PS: Apologies to the OP for jumping into his thread. Sorry Jeff, hope u don't mind:wink:

---------- Post Merged at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:17 PM ----------

Hi,

As for any location - and specialy around Bali where some are thinking much more about quick $$$ than good & safe service - my personal recommendation would be to get some primary contacts thru SB or any other internet source and once arrived in location spend a few hours in previously selected dive shops just to get a general feeling of the operation :

- talk with the guides ;
- talk with guests coming back from the dive ;
- see how the shop is organized in general & look closely at the equipment : even when bringing your own, the equipment condition & equipment room cleanliness tells A LOT about how an op is doing its job ...

You will have to spend a few hours to do so but it's the best way to select a proper dive op instead of just an A to B boat travel agent ...

Absolutely agree!!! I rarely book anything before arriving. I usually get some ideas from friendly SB members, just to have a starting point after arriving here. Then visit the local diving ops, ask questions, look around and see how comfortable I feel. The same with accommodations... Thanks zivva:wink:

---------- Post Merged at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:17 PM ----------

Who will you dive with in Koh Tao? Best guys there are Planet Scuba or Sairee Dive Cottage.
The reply above takes you to Bali Bubbles. Looks good. check it out.

Thanks Jeff:wink: Master Divers and/or Scuba Junction. I want to take the Rescue Diver class and do some fun diving while there. Heard lots of good stuff about MD... And I got my OW and AOW with SJ when I visited Koh Tao the last time and felt comfortable with them:wink:

I have been dvining in bali three times, I always call AquaMarine, they definitely are not the cheapest, but always small groups, nice minibuses and nice boats. Great guides and customer service. I even booked my Komodo LOB through them.

A friend of mine is looking for a good, reputable dive operator on the south east side of Bali. She will be staying in or near Pendang Bai. She has not dived since being certified in 2005. I will do her scuba tune up. She needs a dive shop that will take good care of novices. Please email me your recommendations to jeff@sinbadscuba.com
Thanks

Hi there,
My name is Cedric and I am an instructor at a Padang Bai dive centre: Geko Dive.
Geko Dive is the longest-established 5 Star PADI resort in town and the Geko Dive Team can assist you with any dive trips that you'd like to join on. We operate our own boats, meaning more enjoyment and safety, our Divemasters have been diving in Bali for years and our instructors can teach many PADI courses, including TecRec and Sidemount. Please have a look at our website or send us an email for more info.

I'd also like to add that Padang Bai is a great location from where to dive. The boats are often just in front of the dive centres. The best dive sites of Eastern Bali are very close to the dive centres. Many dive operators from other towns acknowledge that and have their own boats moored in Padang Bai. It is also a nice village in which to stay. Local traditions are still strong here and it is not merely a touristic location. There is also a very nice beach called Bias Tugul (White Sand Beach) on which one can lazzy out after the dives...

Even if you decide not to dive with us or in Padang Bai, you may find the following advice useful:
1) Ask for how many years the business has been running. Many years means something experience-wise.
2) Ask to talk to the actual Divemaster that will guide you underwater. I wouldn't go diving with someone that I don't trust, like or respect. I agree with Zivva's advice: go there and have a look around. A website or emailexchange will give you only a rough idea of what a dive shop highlights. Being there talks for itself.
3) If you have special needs or desires, ask beforehand. Most dive centres in and around Padang Bai are happy to accommodate for special needs and request. You want to see that elusive critter? Once your dive guide knows what to you're looking for, he can put all his heart looking for it. You're a photographer and need a private guide? There might be an additional cost, but this can be done. You want to dive on a dive site with no one else on it? We can find that too, even during high season... Just ask for it!
4) Manage your hopes and expectations. There are many animals, like critters, sharks and mantas, that we can find for divers all year round. Others like mola-molas may be seasonal only. They might also only be seen on dive sites that are out of your certification and comfort level. Listen to the dive operators that tell you that you are not fit to dive a certain site. such operators have your safety in mind and that should matter as much to you as it does to them...

Lastly, remember to enjoy the dives ;-)

Back
Top Bottom