Diving in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlvrDragon50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be in Asia visiting my dad for a couple weeks in December, and I know diving in that area is really nice! Sadly, it's not exactly the best season to go. I know I'll run into monsoon season which is the biggest obstacle.

This is what my friend said:
Malaysia winter break is a big no! It's off season and monsoon!
But the season is better in Thailand!
Check out these places Koh phi phi, Koh Lanta, Koh tau. Ummm and Indonesia pulau Weh! Hmmm if you have spare cash to spend of say go to sipadan...it's in the top 5 dive sites in the world....but you need to check of they are still open in dec and I think they are...but worth it!

I've been to Thailand before so I'd like to visit a different country (Indonesia). We're thinking of going to Bali and Lombok at the moment. Can anyone comment as to how the weather will be? I'll only be bringing my GoPro and whatnot so it won't be too awful if I don't get to dive, but I'd like to optimize my chances!

Although December is rainy season in Bali, it does not stop us diving any day, and only affects the vis at some of the dive sites close to river run-off points. And when it does rain, it tends to be through the night or just for a hour or so, which doesn't really stop you from enjoying all that Bali has to offer, above or below the water. :cool2:

Sea conditions in Bali can be a bit rough in December, which can be problematic for shore entries/exits, which are quite common. Tulamben shore entries/exits are already not the easiest because of the grapefruit-to-melon-sized stones in the shallows and on the beach--with breaking waves destabilizing a diver entering/exiting, it can be hard on the ankles, at best! Once you're under water, it will be easier, though there may be some surge.

I think your friend came close to nailing it, though there is still the possibility of diving at some of the more remote Indonesia areas such as Gorontalo and Halmahera. But since according to your profile (0-24 dives) you're still getting started with diving, you may not be ready for that sort of adventure at this point. BTW, the same can be said for Pulau Weh where the dives tend to be very deep and the currents often run strong. Sipadan-area resorts will be operating in December, no problem, and the diving is accessible to all experience levels. You could also consider the Philippines, which is an easy hop from S'pore. Both have nice diving for divers of your experience level.

Here in North-sulawesi diving is fine in December. You can get some rougher seas but usually nothing to bother. The last 2 years December was beautiful except for 3 days in the beginning of the month and Christmas. Visibility is not that much affected by the rain, on the mainland more as on the islands because of the rivers on the mainland.

When you guys say visibility is affected, how bad are we talking? Is it still like 20m because that's still fantastic IMO haha.

I'll see if we can get a plane to Sipadan. How cold wil the water be? I was reading about diving in HK since that is where I will be staying, and it seems like diving in a wetsuit is a no-no because it's too cold.

The visibility will be fine at Sipadan during that period, particularly since December is still high season there. There's no way to say exactly what it will be like since that depends on water movement, but you might get up to 30 meters horizontally, or if there is heavy rain and rough seas, as little as 10 meters. The water temperature will be warm--most likely around 28°C, possibly a tad cooler or warmer. You don't get a plane to Sipadan, though. You need to fly to a town called Tawau and then get a land transfer followed by a boat transfer to whatever resort you book into. There are inexpensive flights to Tawau from Kuala Lumpur through Air Asia.

Thanks!

Is there anything else to do in Sipadan besides diving? Neither my dad nor my sister are certified. Otherwise I think I may go to Thailand.

No, there's not much in Sipadan for non-divers, though there are lots of shallow areas where they can snorkel. Your family could stay on Borneo and do things there, such as visit the orang-utan sanctuary, while you dive, but if you want to be together for meals and in the evening, they'd have to stay with you at the resort, and it's really not very interesting for non-divers.

Back
Top Bottom