First BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HighLakes

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of acquiring my first set of gear. I've been diving since 2003, but have only done ~100 dives since my (current) definition of 'desirable diving' is far away from Colorado. I plan on moving somewhere tropical this coming fall and doing divemaster/instructor training.

I've been looking for a bcd that will suit me. I'm thinking I would like to use a weight-integrated back-inflation bcd, and am struggling to find used, affordable options that fit (I'm 6'0", 165lb). So, I've begun looking for new options. The frontrunner at the moment is the Hollis HD100 - it's on ebay for $330 - would this be a good choice for what I'm trying to do? What are some other quality brands/bcds I should look at and consider? The Leisure Pro folks steer me towards the Cressi Back Jac ($350) and the Mares Pegassus ($300) - any opinions on these compared to the HD100?

For price reference; thus far, I've acquired a MK10 and D300 off the forum ($75), a rebuilt G250 locally ($60). Obviously, any new jacket I get will far exceed what I've spent on my survival gear...so I'm really open to any suggestions ya'll have!

I plan on moving somewhere tropical this coming fall and doing divemaster/instructor training. I've been looking for a bcd that will suit me. I'm thinking I would like to use a weight-integrated back-inflation bcd, and am struggling to find used, affordable options that fit (I'm 6'0", 165lb). . . . I'm really open to any suggestions ya'll have!
I have four comments, whether or not they are 'suggestions' remains to be seen.

1. Keep in mind that SOME (not all) training operations have preferences on the kind (brand / model / style) gear you use. That is not a suggestion to hold off on buying before you go, merely recognition that whatever you buy may not ened up being what you can use.

2. In buying 'inexpensive gear, there is always a trade-off, between what you think is appealing, and what is popular enoguh to be therefore available on the used market (e.g. eBay or Craiglist). The units you are considering are not inexpensive when purchased new, and may not be widely available on the used market, either.

3. As a BCD I would use for training, and demonstration, I would not get a weight-integrated unit. (Anybody who DMs with me is going to use a weight belt, even if they have a WI BCD.) The other issue with a WI system, when you are planning to be in a tropical / non-local area, is that whatever WI system you pick is essentially one more part that can fail, and need to be repaired, and possibly require parts that are not locally available, and need to be ordered. I am not referring to 'failure points' that can affect your safety on a given dive. Rather, systems that can fail and which are not easily repaired - it is like having electric windows on an off-road vehicle that you are going to use in a very remote area. Why bother?

4. The simpler and more durable the better. That does not necessarily mean the cheaper the better, but it might.

The Hollis is a durable (HD) unit. I personally wouldn't buy one, but it may serve you well for what you are planning. For me, it has too much material / padding. Hollis parts may not be widely available in some tropical locations. The Pegasus is a nice, simple BCD (albeit weight-integrated). It can be used with a crotch strap (which I personally prefer). The Cressi also has a bit too much material / padding for my tastes.

If I wanted something that would be simple, durable, and easy to service, I would probably use a SS BP. with a single piece web harness and something like an Oxycheq wing (durability). Again, as noted in point 1., that may or may not meet the needs of an operation you choose to train with. But, it would definitely be low maintenance. If you look for used BP and harness, you will come in at a low cost. Finding a used Oxycheq wing is a challenge, but might be worth an investment. An alternative would be a used Dive Rite Transpac - also inexpensive, and reasonably low maintenance, which can be matched with a recreational wing.

Used Scubapro KnightHawk in good condition - $99.00 No Shipping needed!

Colliam7-
Thanks for the reply, you raised a lot of points I hadn’t thought about.

1. Interesting. I guess I should think of this bcd as being one that I’d want to complete the 6+ week dm program (any foreign operations you want to recommend?) and for other personal use.
  2. What I took away from this is that I need to expand my horizons. I should; in the dives I’ve done, I’ve probably used 35 different bcds and only had a complaint when it was big enough to the point where the cumberbund covered the waist-belt.
  3. I’ve never used a weight integrated bcd, but became infatuated with the idea after wearing 20 pounds for the first time with an already sore back. What percentage of weight would make sense to keep in non-detachable pockets and/or trim pockets? Are there any affordable bcds you can recommend that simply have those options
  4. I certainly want to get a durable bcd, which was probably why I was drawn to the ‘HD’ Hollis unit. Should never forget about Murphy, though, and thus probably make sure to get something that will have local parts available.

I’ve never been exposed to the BP/W, and somewhat dismissed them because of the lack of pockets. I figured a slate, sausage, and a couple spare weights hanging off d-rings would negate the usefulness of it, and settled on the back-inflated.

I want to make sure the bcd fits, so eBay options without returns haven’t been on my radar.

Jim Lapenta
I’m a sucker for good buys, and was attracted to the Hollis because $330 is abnormally far below its retail. With the Zeagle, I’d end up spending $280 on the bcd and nearly a couple hundred bucks on pockets and possibly a weight system. $330 is quite a bit more than I originally intended to spend, and even used Zeagle equipment seems to run near that.

Beaver Divers
What size is it? I came in a couple weeks ago to check your used stuff out, and I think I might have tried that one. It had an air2 on it though and you guys were asking $250? I’m currently down on the Front Range and won’t be back for a week or two. Send me a pm!

Hi HighLakes,

I send you a PM. I have one w/o an AIR II.

Interesting. I guess I should think of this bcd as being one that I’d want to complete the 6+ week dm program (any foreign operations you want to recommend?) and for other personal use.
There are any number of places in the Caribbean that you might want to consider. As just two examples (of many) - Bonaire (check out the Buddy Dive Academy - Welcome to the Buddy Dive Academy Website) and Utila / Honduras (check out Utila Dive Center - Utila Dive Centre|GoPro|Professional training|Utila Bay Islands Honduras|Caribbean and Central America)
I’ve never used a weight integrated bcd, but became infatuated with the idea after wearing 20 pounds for the first time with an already sore back. What percentage of weight would make sense to keep in non-detachable pockets and/or trim pockets? Are there any affordable bcds you can recommend that simply have those options
WI BCDs are a current trend in the BCD industry, so in saying I don't care for them, I may seem out of step. But, part of the weight obligation with a lot of BCDs comes from their inherent positive buoyancy - they are floaty, and you pay a price for that, in more lead on your waist. So, lose the padding, lose the excess material, and you will shed some weight! I can wear a SS BP (6 lbs), add 6 pounds to my waist, and have plenty of weight for diving with a 1mm or a 3mm full suit. If I have a thicker suit, I can add trim weights to the BCD, still have plenty of ditcheable weight which I can lose if I need to and become positive. One VERY easy, non-ditcheable option as an example - trim pockets that slip on the tank cam bands. I can add (depening on how everyhting trims out) 4 - 6 pounds there.
I’ve never been exposed to the BP/W, and somewhat dismissed them because of the lack of pockets. I figured a slate, sausage, and a couple spare weights hanging off d-rings would negate the usefulness of it, and settled on the back-inflated.
Ah, grasshopper, there is much more to learn about the BP/W (either a hard plate or a 'soft' BP, like the Dive Rite Transpac), and the simplicity it offers. :) The 'pocket' comment is one often heard as a possble limitation of the BP/W. In reality, there are easy solutions to the 'pockets' issue. Much like the current 'fiscal cliff' discussion, where the ultimate solution will probably end up being a combination of spending reductions and tax increases, the pockets solution is also a combination of streamlining (don't carry so much 'stuff' to begin with) and adding a pocket to the waist strap. A safety sausage bungeed to the bottom of the plate - and out of the way until you need it, a slate or Wet Notes carried in a waist pocket along with a finger spool for the sausage, some EMT shears slipped on the waist strap, a light (or two) clipped and bungeed down on a shoulder strap, and away you go. You can also add pockets to an exposure suit (I have thigh pockets sewn / glued on my wetsuit and my drysuit). You can wear a pair of neoprene shorts with pockets. Choices are plentiful. Frankly, I find the pockets on most BCDs to be a bit awkward to use, anyway - they are up too high to begin with, and not as easily accessed as something on my thigh, or even on my waist.
I want to make sure the bcd fits, so eBay options without returns haven’t been on my radar.
Which is a real advantage of a BP/W or other back-inflate unit with a one piece harness - fit is usually not an issue.

As an addition to my previous post, I had to smile when I saw Jim's post - I was thinking of mentioned the Zeagle Express Tec as well - great BCD, relatively inexpensive, very simple, very functional. Good recommendation to think about.
Beaver Divers . . . What size is it? I came in a couple weeks ago to check your used stuff out, and I think I might have tried that one. It had an air2 on it though and you guys were asking $250?
BTW, a used Knighthawk in good condition that fits you for $99 would be a great buy.

There is a oceanic Outrigger for half that price of the hollis and the hollis BCD is recycled version of the oceanic BCD.

One more BCD to look at is the Aeris EX Lite BCD. It's back inflate, doesn't have all of the crap on it that a normal jacket BCD does. It's about half the price of a BPW (LeisurePro has them new for $150). My fiancee has one. I wanted to put her in a BPW, she liked this one better. It also looks more like a normal jacket, so it's easier to dive with as a DM/Instructor Candidate because it's "almost" a normal Jacket-style BCD.

Ah, grasshopper, there is much more to learn about the BP/W (either a hard plate or a 'soft' BP, like the Dive Rite Transpac), and the simplicity it offers. :) The 'pocket' comment is one often heard as a possble limitation of the BP/W. In reality, there are easy solutions to the 'pockets' issue. Much like the current 'fiscal cliff' discussion, where the ultimate solution will probably end up being a combination of spending reductions and tax increases, the pockets solution is also a combination of streamlining (don't carry so much 'stuff' to begin with) and adding a pocket to the waist strap. A safety sausage bungeed to the bottom of the plate - and out of the way until you need it, a slate or Wet Notes carried in a waist pocket along with a finger spool for the sausage, some EMT shears slipped on the waist strap, a light (or two) clipped and bungeed down on a shoulder strap, and away you go. You can also add pockets to an exposure suit (I have thigh pockets sewn / glued on my wetsuit and my drysuit). You can wear a pair of neoprene shorts with pockets. Choices are plentiful. Frankly, I find the pockets on most BCDs to be a bit awkward to use, anyway - they are up too high to begin with, and not as easily accessed as something on my thigh, or even on my waist.Which is a real advantage of a BP/W or other back-inflate unit with a one piece harness - fit is usually not an issue.

I have a Balance BCD that I really like......but I wish I would have gotten a BP/W from the start for all these reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom