Vehicle recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elemental

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a daily driver with capacity to haul enough gear for two cave divers with scooters. Nothing's standing out, but the requirements are pretty demanding.

It needs to have good ground clearance (8" or more); a strong, flat cargo area; and secure points for tying down doubles in case of rapid deceleration. Removable seats are great for that last part but everything current seems to be folding, sometimes on an incline, which is even worse.

I recognize some customization may be needed. Trucks and closed vans aren't an option.

I've been looking around for something like that, and it - to me - came down to either a Toyota 4Runner or BMW X3 (too small for your purpose) or BMW X5.

The 4Runner (2010 or later is all I've seen so far) has *a lot* of cargo space when all the seats are folded down, and the cargo space floor is flat and level. If you cover the cargo area with "shower pan liner" (a very thick urethane membrane), it would protect the flooring, while making it easier to slide gear in from the back.

The 4Runner has a decent amount of "motor" - nothing spectacular, but enough to get you there. Has lots of ground clearance, and gets great reviews for off-roading etc. Decent fuel mileage for it's weight and size as well. The on-road behavior is supposedly soft, vague and with lots of body roll in turns etc.

The "Track" version has a "pull-out" cargo floor, which allows you to pull out the "shelf", load your gear, and then push everything back into the car. It is an option on the other models. This pull-out would be great for on-site gearing up - maybe a bit low, but at least an option.

The 4Runner does not have any tie-down points in the cargo area. Don't know if any can be mounted. It might be possible to mount rails on the cargo area floor, but probably only on the rear-most area.

The Beemer is big and expensive, but a great driver - if you enjoy driving as opposed to just being "transported" from place to place :)

It has lots of cargo space with built-in rails for tie-down points. The dealer couldn't give me a load rating for those however. The cargo area floor is flat and horizontal.

Lots of ground clearance and powerful and not too "thirsty" a motor.

I looked at the Honda Pilot, and the cargo area floor slopes up and didn't seem that it'd be as easy to load as the other two. Didn't care for the fuel mileage and driving either.

The Honda Ridgeline might be a good option: Truck like bed (a bit small maybe) but car/SUV like interior and a suspension that's a compromise between truck and SUV. Handled ok, and was nice enough to drive. Steering wheel is tilt only, but the Limited version is nicely equipped. Gas mileage is poor in this day and age.

I read up on the Mazda CX9, and it is supposed to be a fun driver, with lots of space for the $$. Haven't seen it "in person" though, so can't speak to the cargo area.

The Honda Elements would seem like an ideal candidate, except for the measly GVWR. IIRC you should load more than ~800 lbs into it (passengers and cargo combined), although that may have changed since I looked. I've rented a few, and they're econo box drivers, but they'll get you there. Don't know about ground clearance.

Hope this help. I'd be interested to hear what you find.

Trucks and closed vans aren't an option.

Well you're in quite the pickle, aren't ya?

I have a sport trac (kind of a truck, but kind of an SUV) with the stock bed cover and bed extender. With a little cajoling and a solid background in Tetris, you can fit 2 sets of 104s, 3 35Ah Gavins (plus a Magnum if you enjoy back injuries), ~15 stage bottles, and all the extras (wings, plates, suits, regs, trinkets) for cave diving. The safety is questionable, the MPG is acceptable, and I get through areas where by buddy's Tundra has been stuck (TWICE, Brian...), even when loaded down with all the business.

Plus, its got heated leather seats. Ladies love it.

Reactions: Jax
With a little cajoling and a solid background in Tetris

Love it! My favorite observation goes back to crystal theory in chemistry, "Hexagonal close packing".

I know the OP said trucks weren't an option, but we love our Toyota Tacoma. The seats are like the ones in a car, and they're heated (and yes, this lady loves that). The bed is composite, so wet dive gear doesn't make it rust, and you can buy attachments for tie-downs to keep tanks well-ordered. Ground clearance is good, but the tailgate is low enough to sit on. Mileage is only a little worse than my Audi station wagon (low to mid 20's).

Love it! My favorite observation goes back to crystal theory in chemistry, "Hexagonal close packing".

I know the OP said trucks weren't an option, but we love our Toyota Tacoma. The seats are like the ones in a car, and they're heated (and yes, this lady loves that). The bed is composite, so wet dive gear doesn't make it rust, and you can buy attachments for tie-downs to keep tanks well-ordered. Ground clearance is good, but the tailgate is low enough to sit on. Mileage is only a little worse than my Audi station wagon (low to mid 20's).

Go Big or go home! Toyota Tundra CrewMax (Rock Warrior edition) :cool2:

I know the OP said trucks weren't an option, but we love our Toyota Tacoma.

I'm looking longingly at the Tacoma - but for a daily driver I would like a few more creature comforts (8-way power seats and such), and for long distance driving, even the sales person - who owns a top-of-the-line Tacoma - advised that after ~3 hours of driving, you really don't want to drive much longer.

And what motor do you have in your Tacoma that you get gas mileage in the 20's ?

Go Big or go home! Toyota Tundra CrewMax (Rock Warrior edition) :cool2:

Except for cost, size and fuel mileage - I would *love* a Tundra. Super nice truck.

258235_10150228538827141_7421089_o.jpg

Somewhere in the bottom of that pile are 2 K bottles of Helium, 2 K bottles of O2, 2 sets of doubles, and a few more stages.

I see your pile of dive gear and raise you 3 scooters and a table! This is what one dive looks like :wink:

fnKO0.jpg

The Tundra handles the gear volume MUCH better than the sport-trac.

Attachments

• fnKO0.jpg
    fnKO0.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 493
Well you're in quite the pickle, aren't ya?

I have a sport trac (kind of a truck, but kind of an SUV) with the stock bed cover and bed extender. With a little cajoling and a solid background in Tetris, you can fit 2 sets of 104s, 3 35Ah Gavins (plus a Magnum if you enjoy back injuries), ~15 stage bottles, and all the extras (wings, plates, suits, regs, trinkets) for cave diving. The safety is questionable, the MPG is acceptable, and I get through areas where by buddy's Tundra has been stuck (TWICE, Brian...), even when loaded down with all the business.

Plus, its got heated leather seats. Ladies love it.

Yeah, it's a great vehicle from what I recall, AJ, but to that loading list add two child seats and you can see my dilemma.

Henrik, thanks for the suggestions - I'll take a closer look at them. The Element is a good choice but capacity is just a little too low, plus 2011 was the last model year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom