How reliable are hoseless transmitters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Progen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll still be keeping a SPG running from my first stage but was wondering how many have had a transmitter fail on them in the middle of a dive?

ps. For what it's worth, I'll be using the Suunto Vyper Air with a hoseless transmitter. When it arrives. :D

I was an early adopter of the wireless transmitter technology. In the early nineties, my Monitor 3 dropped the signal on just about every dive. The Uwatecs (Air X, Nitrox Z) I owned were both improvements, and my Suunto D9 is perfect in this regard—I have never caught it in a signal lapse. Strobes were the big issue for those earlier models, but my D9 has not been bothered by my strobes, which I bring on just about every dive.

Search is your friend as this subject has been discussed ad nauseum. The post above is a good summary over the years as they are now pretty reliable.

I have done a few searches but was hoping to hear fresh comments, buddy and maybe, I'll come across some happening with the same model I'll be using. :wink:

I have used a wireless transmitter with a Suunto D6i and Helo2 and have never had an issue, except with doing valve shut down drills. If you shut the tank valve off and turn it in underwater, it doesn't reconnect. So if you don't plan on shutting your valve, they are very reliable IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would expect the technology in your Vyper Air to be the same as my Suunto D9, if not better, since my D9 is 5 or 6 years old.

There's nothing wrong with revisiting a well-worn topic, by the way—this would be a library, rather than a discussion board, if nobody did.

Last edited:
I use the Galileo Sol and have had no problem with the AI until today. On a dive to La Jolla Canyon I kept getting repeated alarms that signal was lost and I had no pressure readings. Fortunately I do use an analog SPG on the second HP port.

There were two possible causes of this. I had just changed the battery in the transmitter and used a generic battery/O ring kit from Battastic from Ebay. The other explanation is I was using an old tank with the angled DIN valve. Not sure what the cause was, and it did not recur on the second dive. In any case it can be very anxiety provoking to lose your air indicator and I highly recommend an SPG backup.

i had a Suunto and was ok untill you shut a valve, and then you had to surface to reconnect.
The Galileo is fantastic. Never had a problem. I put a new battery in it a year ago but that was just as a precaution. The computer itself has never had a battery replaced in 3 yrs and thats with the light on during every dive (200+)

I had/have a Uwatec Smart Z and it routinely loses sync. Especially with a strobe firing or a scooter trigger being pulled. A backup gauge is nice to have for redundancy, but even nicer for setting up your gear as you can just look at the gauge to see what pressure is in your tank, without having to get both units to turn on and sync.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom