SPG - Black Face or White Face

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
SB,

Sometime ago I vaguely remember reading about the face color of a SPG, unfortunately I cannot find the Thread, nor remember what was said. :doh:

Is there any significant reason to choose an SPG with either a white face or a black face?:hm:

Thanks,

~Oldbear~

Makes sense to me...thanks :cool3:

Ya I was tod the same thing by Jim at a show. Made perfect sense to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in the process of switching all my gauges to black faced ones. I do a lot of low vis diving and they work better for me. When I hit a white face gauge with my light to recharge the luminous face it can seem so bright at times that I only see a white circle. At least on my HOG gauges. They glow nice and bright.

My eyes have some difficulty dealing with bright lights at night anyway. Cars coming at me are often a problem at night. Diving low vis or at night and having my eyes adjust to it and then to be hit with that glow not only makes it hard to see the gauge, but ruins my night vision for a few minutes. The black face gauges don't do that. Since only the numbers and lines light up I have none of the above issues. So if anyone is looking for some used 2 inch white face gauges I'll have some shortly.

I like to think black face are "cavey, wrecky and low visy".....and look really cool.

Jim do you have an astigmatism? I have similar problems while driving at night with lights & was told it was due to having an astigmatism in both of my eyes. I also use HOG black SPGs.

I use both and dive a wide variety of conditions and to be honest haven't noticed any significant difference except the black look way cooler.

Don't under-estimate the awesomeness of looking cool when diving. But then my idea of looking cool is wearing a Jimmy Buffet t-shirt, board shorts and flip-flops...oh how I so dislike winters snow storms and miss the warmth of a tropical beach (It is snowing in Denver this morning). :cold:

I have one white and one black. I really haven't noticed any significant differences. If anything, I may prefer the white one a little more

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom