Hollis C-45 or C-60 wing help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShipWreck Mike

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
SoCal, somewhere on the bottom of the ocean
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi friends,I need some help from those how have more experience in Tec diving. I plan to join the ranks of TEC diver and I’m not sure which way to go. I plan to dive with double LP-95, since I own one already, Waterproof D7 Drysuit, Hollis Elite 2 harness with SS back plate. My question is do I go with C-45 or C-60 wing.I will be switching from double to single form time to time; I may even dive with double HP-80 steel tanks. I know there are several manufactures that make Tec gear but I have decided on Hollis for the look as well as the function.I dive in Southern California year round; I’m new to Tec diving, not to diving itself. Divemaster since 1991, so I would say I’m an above average diver when it comes to being real comfortable in the water. I eventually plan to also carry deco tanks on an occasion. So then, which wing in your opinion would you go with?Thank you for your insight.

With double 95s and stages I would go with the 60. Never dove with a Hollis wing but my DR 55# wing is way too big for singles. I've done it with tabs to keep it from wrapping the tank and trapping air, but I would suggest getting a singles wing as well.

I tried to find a setup/wing that worked for all my diving (singles, sidemount, technical, cold and warm water) while I was nomadic last year and some aspect was always just off enough I wasn't happy any of the time. Now I've resigned myself to suffering with a bunch of awesome equipment specific to each type of diving. :) It takes more room in the gear closet / addition but much better than 'making do'

I have them both... I do dive deep and when I am diving my doubles and travel gas and my DECO tank the C60 is on my rig. When I dive singles I just change wings to the C45 and I have plenty of lift and it keeps me high while floating on the surface waiting for people......

If you use the C60 with a single tank you get a big TACO effect........

I have recently purchased a new BP and solo harness and now I do not have to plat musical BPs........ Just one less thing I have to change. Both BPs and harnesses Are set up identical with pouches, straps etc so no matter what I dive every thig is mussel memory.....

Take your time and get a little at a time and make your purchases wisely.

I also am looking at the Hollis rig set up but torn with the Hog line of gear. My question is, is the hog wing's all Hollis or do they just fit the harness'? I found them joined on a web page while looking at the many lines of ger.

Mike the C 60 is the way to roll with the double 95's.
The C 45 is awesome for singles, I have the little single donut wing and love it.
I would look for one or the other used and save some cash and get both.

One thing you will learn is in the Tech realm it can get gear specific and require more than one set or size.
I am not saying it is impossible to use one but it is tough due to taco-ing.
If you bungee the wing down the air flow can be irregular or make venting more difficult.
I have bungeed a 50 lb DR Rec wing for use single Al 80's it is a bit big but doable.
You can usually find Dive Rite Rec wings used for a descent deal.
A 50lb wing would work for a back up wing for your 95's.

I used a DR Rec 50lb lift for a back up on my Worthington 95's with the primary being a 60lb DR Classic.
I also used the 50lb Rec wing for use with singles bungeed down.
Just trying to give you options.

CamG

Thank you for all of the advice, it just confirmed what I had thought but wanted to be sure before I start purchasing equipment!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom