Still trying to balance my rig...suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveDaddyDale

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am diving a 5mm full suit with a 25lb Hollis wing on my SS bp using a HP100 steel tank. Testing my rig for balance, I find that I cannot swim it up from 20' w no air in the wing so obviously I am overweighted.

I would like to keep using my 100cf steel tank for the extra dive time but am looking for a solution to being overweighted.

My only idea is to switch back to my AL plate to shed 4.2lbs, but that setup is very difficult to obtain good trim for some reason.

Any other ideas? Anyone else use a similar set-up for FW diving?

thanks

Why not get an aluminum plate and wear a weightbelt that you can ditch and swim up. 4.2 lb weightbelt is not going to affect your trim to some huge amount.

Indeed, that is probably a solution if I use my AL80, but I am trying to still use my steel tank. When using my AL80 w the SS plate, balance is great but I need extra air and that is why I am trying to find a compromise and keep using my steel 100.

Try one of our rubber weightbelts...

MFDWB-1.jpg

I am overweighted and trying to shed weight, not add weight.
Adding weight is the opposite of where I am heading.

When you use the AL plate have you tried moving the HP100 up or down on the bp ( you didn't mention if you were leg heavy or light )????.......I'm leg 'heavy' and some times use a 5Lb ankle weight around the tank neck to get trim just right......If your 'leg light' you can try ankle weights........They sell them empty and you can put whatever amount of weight you want in them....... Only other solution would be a bigger wing ( lots of them for sale on SB and Cave Diver's Forum )

I agree with the direction you're going - like you, my personal floor for non-ditchable weight is defined around what I can swim up.

I found my limits from the other direction, so to speak. I tried swimming up various size weight belts and found that:

I can swim up 10 lbs easily.
I can swim up 20 lbs, albiet with a whopping RMV.
I can swim up 30 lbs in little 10' "sprints" at a time, with rests in between.
I cannot swim up 40 lbs.

I teach little tune-up sessions for a local dive club during the winter, and found that physical conditioning, fining technique, (and especially!) fin selection plays a huge part in this. Split fin users, for example, seem to top out at 15 lbs no matter how good of a shape the diver is in.

So you might consider changing your fins, if that's the problem. That way you can preserve the great trim you get from a SS plate/HP 100.

If not, I'd look at a plastic plate, like the Kydex plate from DSS. This way you can add the same weight as an aluminum plate to weight pockets on the upper cam band, which may keep you in trim when wearing a small weight belt.

Since this is the Advanced forum, you might consider adding a tail pouch and carrying a lift bag as redundant buoyancy. Get lessons from a technical instructor first, as this is something oft seen in technical diving, and they will be well suited to pass on the advantages (and disadvantages) of this technique, as well as the little things that will keep you safe.

All the best, James

All the best, James

Ditch the steel plate, learn to dive the aluminum. You dive the gear, not the other way around.

Good for you for not diving an overweighted rig, though!

All good thoughts. In fact I did switch from my split fins to a set of OMS slipstreams (love them). I have found that careful positioning of the tanks does assist w trim.

Interestingly, I tried the kydax plate, but something about the physics of my body wit that plate caused me to bob up and down uncontrollably. It was impossible for me to maintain a safety stop.

I think that the concept of having an smb is a great idea. That would give me a secure means of ascent should all else fail. Trying not to be overly cautious, but as we know, Murphy is always waiting to join the dive party :)

I also could go to a drysuit, and probably am headed that way anyway as I proceed down a more tech path, it's just the $$$! A funny quote; "If I die, please don't let my wife sell my scuba gear for what she thinks I paid for it".
So, see if this plan makes sense; use the AL plate to drop 4.2lbs, add weight when using my AL80, buy and learn to use the smb for safety backup, keep diving, adjusting and learning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom