Remove air bubbles in ascent in Travelpac Voyager

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcfahy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Please help me with my technique in removing trapped air bubbles in my Travelpac Voyager. I love the system but about 1 in 5 dives i struggle to remove all air at my safety stop. Clearly my fault with technique but I do go vertical, hold the hose above my head, lean back, dip my shoulder and even use the left dump valve. When this occurs my dive buddy helps my squeezing the bladder and then the safety stop is easily completed. Any suggestions: perhaps my poor mounting of the bladder on the tank or???
I am committed to the system but fill stupidly frustrated.

Many thanks for suggestions.

John

sounds like you are working too hard to maintain your safety stop. you might need to add a couple of pounds of weight to help with the safety stop. you would be amazed what as little as 2lb will do at the end of a dive to help you maintain the stop.

try it and see if it helps.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks, Tom. I generally do a weight check and my buoyancy feels about right during dive. I am surprised how much air is released on the odd occasion when my buddy helps squeeze the bladder after I thought air was eliminated but I was too buoyant. The back wings do tend to trap air between tank but I am frustrated. I suspect that it is caused by the way I mount the rig on occasion - perhaps imbalancing the trim.

Sometimes I have the same problem. I know there is air in my bladder but I just can't seem to release it no matter what normal technique or orientation I use. When this does happen the best solution seems to be to get into a position that would normally vent ok, add air to the bladder, and then release the air. Adding extra air seems to break the seal that then allows the remainder to vent. Not ideal but for the frequency that it does happen, it is certainly better than carrying extra weight.

I've noticed on my wing that the bladder can crease, depending on how it was packed, trapping air. I second Mattoau, it sounds like your shifting all around at your safety stop but, if you can try "sloshing" around the air so it "breaks the seal" as Mattoau said, it might dump more efficiently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom